Lubrication Engineers 5w30 vs. Others????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here on this forum and have a question. My neighbor is the Director of Maintenane at major city bus system. He swears by LE products and uses their oils exclusively in his motorcycles (Harley Road Kind and Honda Goldwing) and his cars ('06 Honda Accord v6, Pontiac minivan, etc.). He can quote all different kinds of grease, oil and diff lube specs from memory in a general conversation (way over my head). He suggests switching my two vehicles ('09 Honda Odyssey and '10 Hyundai Sonata) to the LE 5w30 Monolec 8530.

The Honda's first oil change was done at the dealer, and the service manager said they use bulk Castol GTX (he said it was recommneded by honda). And the Hyundai is going to get its first oil change this weekend at 1500 miles.

Is LE a step above the normal off the shelf oils such as Pennzoil or Castrol?

Is 1500 miles to early to change the Hyundai to a synthetic blend?

Does he get some amazing deal on the 5-30? That is the grade that's probably appropriate in TX, but I'm not a real believer that any brand of oil is significantly better than another especially in those mainstream applications, especially when you're stuck at a warranty OCI.

Of course, others will have differing opinions.

Yes, I think he does get a good price on it. He orders by the case and he said he could add whatever I wanted to his order. He gave me a couple of bottles of the LX fuel additive and on more than one tank, I got .5 to 1 mpg better on average in the Oddyssey.

i have an ody with 178k using 5w20 on all sorts of otc brand oils and the engine is fine. Some honda owners have experienced sluggishness in the engine when they went to 5w30. Also the UOA's on honda indicate that the engines are not that hard on oil.

Last edited:
tdpark--Thanks for the comment. With the oil monitoring system, the first oil change wasn't till 6k with the break in oil in it, and the oil still looked very clean with very little discoloration. Now it's on its second batch of oil and I am going to start doing the oil changes myself. We need this Ody to last a long time and at least 250k miles, so I want to use good oil and good filters.

Hondas OLM is well proven with conventional 5W20 oil. The 5W30 LE isnt going to hurt anything but I dont really see any advantage unless you are going to extend your change intervals which I wouldnt suggest until out of warranty.

GeneK--Good advice and I was going to follow the oil system monitor on the Ody, and change when at about 20%. I don't see how Honda could argue with that. As for the Hyundai, after this first oil change, then follow the 3750 (severe duty) recommended change interval for at least the next two changes then maybe change to the 7500 recommended regular duty OCI. Before changing I would have an oil analysis done.

The Hyundai can go either 5w20 or 5w30. I have read alot of forums and posts that say the I4 doesn't like the 5w20 as much as the 5w30 (more engine noise with 5w20).

The J series on the Odyssey predates 5-20 oil. It isn't going to matter a lick which viscosity he chooses. And that's in WI, in TX the advantages of 20 would be even less.

The only advantage I can see would be getting a good deal on the oil, or building a relationship with a guy who can probably help out in a jam.

I had a VOA run on this oil awhile back and all elements read as 0 except for the following:

Boron 6
Silicon 7
Calcium 1111
Magnesium 4
Phosphorus 443
Zinc 489
Visc 10.2
TBN 6.6

It is supposed to be a blend of Group II and PAO but with these numbers I think it is very overpriced.

If that Sonata was a 2011 2.4L GDI I might lean toward the 5W30 LE as a good idea due to the demands DI engines seem to be making on oil.

If its a 2010 with the traditional port injection I dont see a real advantage to the LE. As to 5W20 or 5W30 I would likely choose 5W20 if I frequently short tripped or 5W30 if i had a half hour plus daily commute.

The only Hyundai I maintain is a 2007 Hyudai Accent with the 1.6L. We use MC 5W20 at 6 month intervals (Around 3,000 miles) due to warranty requirements and my mothers frequent short trips.

Last edited:
The Sonata is a 2010 with the traditional port injection. I do have 25 to 40 minute commutes each way depending on traffic.

We are very hot here in far west TX. The last month we have averaged 100+ most days. Antoher reason to lean towards the 5w30.

I agree with Johnny that on paper the LE 8530 doesn't look like much of anything special. But I will have to disagree about trying it. LE is a unique company with very special chemistry's.

I have been using two of their lubricants over the last few years and testing them (UOA's). There is a forum on BITOG labeled "Used oil analysis" that you can do a search for my user name and see them.

For engine oil I have been using LE8130 10W-30 in my 2000 Tundra V-8. I recently filled my 2004 S2000 with it and will test it next summer.

For rear differentials I have been using LE1605 Duolec SAE 110 in my S2000 and Tundra.

I recently received 2 tubes of LE3752 NGLI2 grease from a dear friend here on BITOG that I will be using soon on my Tundra drive shafts, upper ball joints and front tie rods.

About a month ago I started using LE LX 2300 Heavy Chemical Supplement in the fuel systems of my Tundra, S2000 and 2009 RAV4 V-6. Subjectively, all I can say is WOW for now. The proof will be how it does on my UOA's.

On my next order of 8130, I'm thinking about ordering a case of 8530 too, to try in my RAV4.

Good luck to you and welcome to BITOG!

INDYMAC--Thanks for the welcome. I have read many of your posts on this site, before I posted. You seem to be one of the very few who have tried LE products and it is nice to read your posts and results.

No problem rpintx. Where do you live in TX? If nearby, I'd be glad to split a case with you if you want. But it sounds like you already have a better person to help you. Good luck!

I am way out west in El Paso. Fighting the heat and 3400 ft in elevation doesn't help either. I also have to climb to 5280 through a mountain pass twice a day during my commute. In 110 degree heat and pulling 3000-3500 rpms up the pass I just think the 5w20 is a little thin........

I say let the Hyundai break in some more and then ask your friend to sell you enough 8530 to fill the sump, see how it works, and then buy some more if you like it. You are lucky to have someone there that can split a case of it to lower intial cost layout. I think that's why LE isn't more popular here on BITOG. You have to buy a whole case or pail just to try it.

What are you using in your F250? LE makes some excellent HDEO'S too...8130 and 8800. They have a straight weight HDEO too, but I don't remember the product number.

Last edited:
My next question was going to be about the Hyundai. So you think 1700 miles is to soon to switch it to a semi synthetic?

From the first oil change the F 250 has been fed Rotella T until they changed the formula a couple of years ago. Now I feed it Delo due to the higher content of zinc and sufler (if I remember correctly).

The 8130 (10W-30) is an excellent oil and if any of your vehicles can use a 10W-30 the 8130 is a lot better oil than the 8530. A much better additive package.

For your F250, if your friend can get you small quantities of gear oil, LE makes several excellent gear oils, and their greases are second to none.

Like INDYMAC said, there main problem is the quantities they sell in. They are geared towards the commercial and industrial markets and not the small consumer. Even a case of oil has 24 quarts in it and that can get expensive for the initial purchase.

LE is an excellent company and makes some outstanding products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back