Mobil1 5W-30, 6752 miles, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if M1 blending and formulating just hasn't quite caught up to the Ethanol problem in blended gasoline (water absorption). Could what we are seeing be rust and not metal wear?

Could very well be.

Why would mobil's BEST selling oil not be up to handling modern gasolines? E10+ has been around for quite awhile, atleast since SL oils reigned.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Why would mobil's BEST selling oil not be up to handling modern gasolines? E10+ has been around for quite awhile, atleast since SL oils reigned.

Gotta remember that only M1 has deminished in quality, while all the others have improved. That's an important FACT.
13.gif

Last edited:
Well tig, what makes you think that for 30+ years Mobil has ALWAYS made the best oils? Isn't that a bit naive on your part? I know Mobil has some new young formulators.....just because XOM is a large corporation does not mean they are always going to be making the best oils on the market. Something is up with Mobil 1 oils IMO.

It was around for awhile unfortunately, but not universally mandated. I think the problem may just be more obvious now, rather than a blip on the radar.

Originally Posted By: buster
Well tig, what makes you think that for 30+ years Mobil has ALWAYS made the best oils? Isn't that a bit naive on your part? I know Mobil has some new young formulators.....just because XOM is a large corporation does not mean they are always going to be making the best oils on the market. Something is up with Mobil 1 oils IMO.

There you go again, as Bill often does. Saying things I supposedly I have said. Saying for 30 years Mobil has made the best oils. Not once have I said that ever. I also have never critized any other oil as inferior or in any way, and not to be used. Son, I am not as naive as you might think. And as for something is up with M1 oils. I believe they make some of the beter oils in the world as does many engine designers as well. Apparently a lot is going on at XMs labs and with there brillant lube engineers.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
It was around for awhile unfortunately, but not universally mandated. I think the problem may just be more obvious now, rather than a blip on the radar.

As for E 10 fuels, we have had that fuel formulation in my part of Illinois for many years and I have seen no negitive results with the fuel or it's affect on M1 oils.

Fulton, greetings Sir.

I have basically the same engine ('07 Solstice GXP,tuned as well)
I recently ran a UOA of "Q horsepower" 5W30 that had a little over 5K miles on it and the iron was 14 PPM. Everything else was good too.

My
49.gif
get rid of the K@N, and the Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is known for high iron and K@N is often "suspected" for high silicon and other contaminates. Stay with a GM 4718M oil.
My K@N is sitting on the shelf in a plastic bag!
At the drag strip I could not find any difference between the K@N and the stock filter both before and after the tune.
The computer commands (and limits) the boost level, A/F ratio, and volume in grams per second irregardless of minor restrictions in the intake tract.
The K@N will only buy you dirtier air in a non race, computer limited application.

Good luck Sir.

Rickey.

Do you regularly use M1 5W-30? If so, then thanks for eliminating that possibility from what's wrong with M1 5W-30 theories. We'll have to look at it from a different angle I guess.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

As for E 10 fuels, we have had that fuel formulation in my part of Illinois for many years and I have seen no negitive results with the fuel or it's affect on M1 oils.

It's become M1's signature. Higher than average fe readings are often seen when compared to different oils. It's been that way for years.

I've got M1 in the sump right now and will run it for about the same interval as last just to see if the iron continues to trend up and to monitor the sodium and potassium.

After that I'll try a run on either PP/PU since it seems to be latest craze or I'll just go with RL 5W30. I've been running RL oils in my hot rods for years and years and the UOA's have always looked pretty good - I've just never run it for extended mileage. I did email Dave at RL and he wasn't too worried about my iron numbers.

Rickey,
Thanks for the reference point on your GXP. As noted, I'll probably try something other than the M1 5W30 just to see what it does. With regard to the K&N filters, I know that there are a lot of negative comments about them, but maybe I'm lucky because I've never had an issue with one and I've run them on just about everything. Actually, if you look at my UOA's for the Cobalt, the first one was done on the stock paper filter and the others were with the K&N drop-in. Check out the difference in the silicon numbers...

Fulton
10.gif

I believe that your car is lighter than mine.
Everything else being equal then....
Well there is that one little difference with FWD and RWD, and your drag coefficient is better than mine. HeHe.
One heck of a performance for a 2.0 4 cyl eh?

Now as for the K@N: with mine I can see daylight through it after oiling, just 'sayin.

Rickey.

Unless iron levels are 250ppm or more, you won't be able to determine engine wear. Levels as low as 30ppm will provide incredibly long engine life. We saw these numbers on fleet vans. The engines made it a staggering 900,000 miles.

If you want to see the iron levels drop, try M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It's on the light end for a 5-40 and generally provides unbeatable UOA results. Plenty of ZDDP too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Unless iron levels are 250ppm or more, you won't be able to determine engine wear. Levels as low as 30ppm will provide incredibly long engine life. We saw these numbers on fleet vans. The engines made it a staggering 900,000 miles.

If you want to see the iron levels drop, try M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It's on the light end for a 5-40 and generally provides unbeatable UOA results. Plenty of ZDDP too.

Nice to see some common sense with the whole M1 "high iron" UOA's. I think some here get carried away with ppm of iron. My next oil change I plan to put M1-EP 5w20 in my 04 Civic for 1 year.

Before coming to BITOG I knew little of UOAs, but did two of them for the novelty of it. Saw the results and said "so what". Since reading BITOG for 1 1/2 years I realize UOAs(with a few exceptions) are irrelevent for the most part. 5-10-15 PPM one way are the other tells nothing about real engine wear IMO.

Why is it irrelevent when someone is using Mobil 1, I never see that statement from any other user,just Mobil 1????Never from any other. Not even Fram synthetics. Or Hello Kitty syn either!!
54.gif

Before coming to BITOG I knew little of UOAs, but did two of them for the novelty of it. Saw the results and said "so what". Since reading BITOG for 1 1/2 years I realize UOAs(with a few exceptions) are irrelevent for the most part. 5-10-15 PPM one way are the other tells nothing about real engine wear IMO.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Why is it irrelevent when someone is using Mobil 1, I never see that statement from any other user,just Mobil 1????Never from any other. Not even Fram synthetics. Or Hello Kitty syn either!!
54.gif

I didn't mention M1, you did. Wouldn't matter what oil you use, as that doesn't change the need for a UOA or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back