Greasing outer tie rod???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing my outer tie rods and the new ones are greasable and has a grease fitting on the top of it, what kind of grease do I use and how the heck do I find a grease gun for something like this?

any auto store will have a grease gun, I usually buy Valvoline Synthetic grease, that claims to be compatable with all makes since I own Toyota, GM, Ford, and a Jeep.

Clean the fitting before greasing it, and dont over do it.

Last edited:
There is no special gun for it, I just swapped off the steel tube for a flex one, which you can get at any place that sells grease guns. Then use the standard coupler. :)

One word of caution though...

Pull the boots off your new rod ends, and clean out all the old hardened grease. I bought some nice lifetime warranty ones not too long ago, with the nipple, and almost all the grease inside had dried out. Then hook up your grease gun and give it a few pumps, and you should see the old grease getting pushed out. Wipe off that grease and the new but contaminated stuff, reinstall the boot. I install them like this, then I put the grease gun back on and give em a few pumps until you see the boot sort of fill out.

Edit: I compress the boots before installing the rod end, this way it's very noticable when the boot is filled with grease.

Any good chassis grease should work fine in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back