Briggs and Stratton 19-FB oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this past weekend, i picked up an old Hamco generator at a sale. It's in very nice condition, 2500 watt 20 amp. It almost looks like it's never been used. It's powered by a briggs and stratton model 19-FB engine. Type no - 706533, serial - 580688. The label on the side says to use

Above 32F - 20w
Below 32F - 10w

I was able to find the manual online and it advised

Above 40F - 30w or 10w30
Below 40F - 10w or 5w20

This seems kind of confusing to me, and since it's a generator i may be using it during summer storms or winter ice events. So 30w is out of the picture. I was thinking maybe a good 10w30 for year round use?

Thanks.

Straight 10W? 20W?
54.gif

And people wonder why I can be fairly dismissive of factory oil recommendations for OPE engines.
smirk2.gif

Have any idea what year this thing is?

If you have to start it in the winter, will it be in heated space?

I'm not sure of the year, 60's maybe? It was pulled from a house that had a bunch of fallout shelter items. So given that and the fact the manual was listed under the "antique" section of B&S, it must be 50's / 60's.

Green, the 5/40 looks like a good oil. Since its a 40w at operating temp would that be okay? I was thinking it would shear anyway.

It will be kept in a garage, although unheated. So basically whatever the temperature is outside at the time.

Last edited:
OK, the age explains the way-out-of-date oil recommendations.

For something that old you're probably OK to use an XW-40. The worst thing that could happen is that it might labor a bit with the slightly thicker oil ... and as you point out it will shear and dilute with use, anyway. The possible winter you have in mind pretty much excludes 15W-40 in favor of 5W-40 as previously mentioned.

Another safe bet is a 10W-30 HDEO ... if you can find one. This oil, in a conventional form, will only fall short if you try to use it in a long, intense interval ... say the power goes out for three days and you try to go the distance without draining the oil.

Definitely go with a multi-vis oil if you might have to fire it up in the dead of winter from an unheated storage area.

Okay thanks for the info! I looked around today and i cant find rotella 5/40 anywhere, would M1 5/40 turbo diesel work? I can get both 0/40 and 5/40 M1, but i was thinking the 5/40 would be more shear stable.

dakota99, I'm not sure why you're having trouble finding Rotella 5W-40 ... even the Walmarts around here carry it.

Regardless, any 5W-40 will work. And yes, M1 5W-40 is an HDEO and will have the better add-pack for dealing with dilution as well as being more shear stable than 0W-40.

Yeah, 40 won't be too thick, and it should hold up to the extended use a generator would see well. It's pre 1965 for sure, but it would be hard to say exactly. I'd bet some time in the fifties. If you take the Model, Type and Code numbers over to a place like the smokestak forums, those guys could probably give you a year and month, or at least tell you where to find the proper info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back