spark plug gap tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
I just buy them pregapped usually

Pregapped for what engine? The mfg. of the plug has no idea what the end user is going to use their plugs in.

They come pre-gapped in diff sizes I believe, usually the ones that I buy that are pregapped have 4 electrodes like this Bosch.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-FGR8DQI-Platinum-Fusion-Spark/dp/B000PL2AZC

Last edited:
I usually do. Just insert it between the electrodes and twist/rock it gently back and forth.

OK. Sounds good.

One more question. Does gap have to be set on plugs with fine wire electrode?

There is some bad info in this thread.

The 03 cavalier should have the ecotec engine.

I just did plugs in a 03 sunfire yesterday.

The plugs for this motor are FINE WIRE and are pregapped. If you try to gap them with a coin style tool you are going to damage the plug.

Look the part up at rockauto or a parts store. I noticed that a couple manufactures are gapping this plug at 043, some are gapping at 044 out of the factory. Buy either plug and don't worry about it.

I have used NGK platnium plugs in this motor with EXCELLENT results. This is a $2.99 each plug.

I have read that the factory Delco plug for this application is supplied by NGK, someone can confirm maybe?

The factory shop manual says not to use anti seize on the plug, but I did anyways in the 3 ecotec motors I serviced, just make sure the motor is stone cold when you service it, and have a little common sense and you won't have a problem. A couple shots of PB blaster in the plug hole before you pull the old ones out goes a long way.

Actually have no idea, I use OEM recommended plugs for best results in my cars engines. I don't go along with the super duper plugs, they've been around for years and years. The 3 and 4 electrode plugs I remember seeing in a major auto parts mailorder catalog way back in the later 50's and 60's only it wasn't brought out by a major mfg.

My opinion is they are like snake oil additivies.

The coin type plug gappers have a hole in them for gapping platinum tabbed plugs. That's what the coin type were made for. You hook the ground electrode into the hole without contacting the tab and bend it back to increase gap. To decrease gap you lightly tap the ground electrode against a hard surface.

So some platinum plugs can be gapped, like NGK lasers. Some thin wire ones like some Densos are not suppose to be gapped. Best to check the manufacture's site for the particular plug.

Well I'll be, live and learn. I always thought that hole was to put it on your key chain, why anyone would want to carry one for is beyond me.

BTW, so many say the coin tool is no good, well its worked for me for 50 years with no problems, just know how to use it, and yes I know how to measure items with close tolerances, I was a tool & die maker by trade till I retired.

+1 the coin tool works well in the right hands. I do prefer the wire though, or stacking feeler gauges together if needed.

As a side note plug gaps need to be checked and adjusted. Sometimes the boxes fall on the floor in the store and get knocked closed a little. Also while many people open boxes and find plugs gapped correctly, there are certain plugs that have more than one application, and different gaps for different applications. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I won't use a plug that says or is a type you can't gap. I've seen plugs that were listed for an .060 application all factory gapped at .043, and if I remember right they were supposedly not gapable. I gapped them anyway. You got to figure the factory adjusts the gap on these "no gapping" plugs, and they think the user is too stupid to do it. I have no use for those kind.

Pregapped is nice, but you still have to double-check the gap. What if someone dropped the stock?

You can still gap platinum tipped plugs, but you have to be careful. You grab the top electrode on the sides with pliers - open as needed.

Platinum is incredibly soft. Sometimes you can't feel when you're deforming the metal. I wouldn't "drag" or force anything in there to check the gap.

J.C. WHITNEY used to have a plug gapper with handle and disk that you squeezed for about $8? always meant to get one - can't find them now. anyone use them and what results?

bmw john in avon / indy

Sorry - noob question here:
How do you measure the gap using the coin gauge?

Do you slide its edge in between the center electrode & the outer electrode & rotate it carefully until it's snug & the corresponding printed measure on the coin @ that point?

I've used the pliers type like these and they work well
0210ec_tool01_z.jpg

Link to pliers

Summit sells them for $25

But at home I use wire type feeler guages

That looks like a nice tool if you're running a tuneup shop and you need fast throughput of work. A bit overkill for the shadetree mechanic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back