Dell 1100 Laser Printer, need help with roller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell 1100 Laser printer. The thing doesn't owe me a dime, but I figured for ten bucks I mine as well keep it going.

This is a 99 dollar laser printer that I paid 49 dollars for refurbished from dell, and have had it for 4 years now.

I like it well enough, the toner cartridges are under 20 dollars on ebay, and I buy them once a year.

The problem is that the rubber roller finally wore out, the rubber actually split in two and was hanging.

I can't find a service manual ANYWHERE for this thing. It is made by SAMSUNG.

Can someone explain how to replace the roller? I bought a new roller for ten dollars on ebay and it is coming in this week.

THANKS..

Having played with laser printers I can tell you it won't be easy to remove the shaft that the rubber roller is on. You basically have to disassemble the whole printer to get it in there.

Then you most likely will have alignment / timing issues with various shafts if you aren't careful and mark the gear positions when you take it apart.

I would chuck the printer and buy a new one unless you want to spend the couple of hours to rip it all apart and carefully mark everything.

Steve
grin2.gif

Hey! It sounds like a project. I haven't tinkered with a laser printer, but have worked on a few ink jets. I usually use a small bowl for the screws and small hardware. Keep a close eye out for small stuff (rollers and whatnot). I lost a very small roller once (the vacuum cleaner probably found it later). The scanner made the most awful noise until I figgured out the problem. Had to make a new roller to replace it, it was rough but it worked. That's another story. I'd say tackle it, you have nothing to lose, but pick a quiet time when you have nothing else to do.

Well thats crummy.

I have my Comptia A+ certification, I should be able to take this darn disposable printer apart..

Its going to be a major project, I should have just ditched it.

I should have known better. I bought the roller on ebay for 10 dollars or whatever, and the seller said that he could not provide any instructions or schematics for this printer.

You can do it, just mark the gears / rollers etc with a permanent marker so you know how it was timed and can reassemble it in the same way.

It will take you a while, but it's not impossible!

I have the service manual for the Samsung ML-2010. If you want it, PM me your email address. I think this is pretty close to the Dell 1100--as I recall they use the same engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back