Energy Conserving in a Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
Ultra is $9 more expensive at Walmart than T6..

$9 more expensive, but you also get 25% more oil.

I am running an Energy Conserving oil in my 86 VFR700F with no signs of clutch slippage. It's NAPA (valvoline) 15W-50 synthetic. At operating temperature, it is even idling about 100rpm higher than it previously did when I was running the 40 weight oils. Shifting is probably the smoothest I have ever experienced in this bike.

Valvoline advised that I not run the oil in my bike because most of their additives are also friction modifiers. Including their calcium.

Depends on WHY Pen Ultra is not wet clutch friendly.
Rotella wasn't originally JASO rated. Motorcycle riders 'discovered' it works great in cycles, Gold Wings in particular, once Mobil-1 dropped their 15W-50 Red Cap some years ago.
Constant inquiries to Shell about using Rotella oils in cycles prompted Shell to do the tests and found that Rotella T 15W-40 passed the tests; Rotella T6 5W-40 missed the mark by a hair; it didn't pass the 'ash' level test. Both have many years and millions of miles in cycles with no ill effects.
The new Rotella T6 does pass all JASO tests.

I hope I got the history correct here. Clutch friendly oil has low levels of friction reducers (as I understand it), and other additives to make up for that.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I am running an Energy Conserving oil in my 86 VFR700F with no signs of clutch slippage. It's NAPA (valvoline) 15W-50 synthetic. At operating temperature, it is even idling about 100rpm higher than it previously did when I was running the 40 weight oils. Shifting is probably the smoothest I have ever experienced in this bike.

Valvoline advised that I not run the oil in my bike because most of their additives are also friction modifiers. Including their calcium.

I don't believe your oil is Energy conserving. EC oil is usually 10/30 or thinner grade. I've never heard of a 15/50 being EC.

Originally Posted By: Redline955
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I don't believe your oil is Energy conserving. EC oil is usually 10/30 or thinner grade. I've never heard of a 15/50 being EC.

NAPA15w-50back.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back