Heavier Oil - Filter ByPass question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Saturn has 240,000 miles on it and is using a lot of oil now. I need the car to last for a while longer until I get back on top of life. If I use the recommend oil (5w/30) I really have to baby sit it, and my father in law had convinced me to use 20w/50 in it. 20w/50, Hot weather and tired engine is really taking a toll on the poor little car. I use cheap oil and used to use Fram filters until lately. I still use the cheap oil, but started to use Wix 51348, and after reading on this site today will start using Wix 51516. I'm worried that I've probably been running most of the time bypassed.

Do you think using 20w/50 would cause the filter to operate in bypass?

Do you think 10w/40 would cause the filter to run in bypass?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I don't think that 20w50 will cause it to run in bypass all the time, just when the engine is cold and when you are high on the RPM's.

Now that said it will be in bypass more often then a 10w40 and a 5w30 but in the current weather you should be fine.

Besides with it burning as much oil as it is already a little more wear isn't going to hurt because the engine is due for work anyways.

Do you know if it's the valve-seals or the rings?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I don't think that 20w50 will cause it to run in bypass all the time, just when the engine is cold and when you are high on the RPM's.

Now that said it will be in bypass more often then a 10w40 and a 5w30 but in the current weather you should be fine.

Besides with it burning as much oil as it is already a little more wear isn't going to hurt because the engine is due for work anyways.

Do you know if it's the valve-seals or the rings?

I'm sure its the rings just like any other Saturn that smokes. Thanks for the welcome!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you think using 20w/50 would cause the filter to operate in bypass?

Not directly. If your oil pump goes into relief it will elevate the PSID across the filter that may reach the point where the bypass valve opens. As long as your below your peak pump limits, you'll hardly see any PSID of merit. There will be some increases in instances of PSID due to loading, but they'll mainly be governed by how much/long you're in oil pump relief. If you have a gauge and it's not peaked (wherever it usually peaks) ..then you aren't in bypass (99.999999% of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back