Anyone using HDEO in their Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone runs HDEO (like Rotella or Delvac) in their Harley, either in the engine or primary/transmission?

I've read on another site some guys run rotella in their primary. It should work in the trans also, as many bikes with a common sump use it without issue. As far as the motor goes, I would only run it in winter months when temps are below 40f.Harley actually recommends 10/40 when the temps are below 40f.,,

Originally Posted By: a4tdi
Just curious if anyone runs HDEO (like Rotella or Delvac) in their Harley, either in the engine or primary/transmission?

A few people do but not many. If you sift through the UOAs for a while I know you will find one or two at least. Most prefer to use a 50 grade although a 40 would be great for a winter run in Ohio if you ride through the winter. When I have seen UOAs with Rotella in a AC Vtwin the wear metals were good.

I do use Rotella in my primaries.

I've used it in the primary with good results, but use a synthetic 20W-50 in the engine.

I have used it in both my harleys,but the hdeo's have a large ash content which can cause that burnt look on some internal parts from the high heat so i just dont run it.Try valvoline vr1 I have had good results with it and not very expensive.Also brad penn oils are very good not expensive,Just not readily available everywhere.

For those of you that mentioned it, I am well aware that H-D calls for 20w50 in temps above 40F, and have used both Mobil 1 V-Twin and Schaeffer 20w50 in my FLHR. I do use Delvac 1300 as my winter fill however, since I do ride year-round. What prompted me to start this thread was something I read here when the new Rotella Triple-Protection formula was released a while back. I seem to recall a posting by Terry Dyson where he stated (or so I remember) that most of his Harley clients had switched to 40-weight oils, and were quite satisfied with the results. Just wondering if anyone here had taken that step as well.

I do not use it in the engine, but I have used it in the primary. I live in Socal where it get's hot and HD's call for 50 weight in the engine. 40 weight wouldn't cut it for me in the summer heat here.

I use rotella 15w40 in my KLR though. Works great there.

I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan and a Harley V-Rod ( Revolution/water cooled./shared wet clutch engine) I've used HDEO 15-40 and Castrol 20-50 in the Vulcan with good results--no evidence of clutch problems. When I go to the 1130CC Harley site--everyone seems to be using Amzoil 20-50. The cycle manual states you can add HDEO if needed and then get the oil changed to "Harley oil" as soon as (conveniently) possible. Is there any reason that 20-50 convential motor oil, VR 1, or 15-40 HDEO would be detrimental to that engine? Thank you

Using a HDEO in either of those bike would be fine or 20w50 dino. Since they liquid cooled I'd run Rotella T in them.

In the air cooled Harley's I would not recommend that a 40wt oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back