Just picked up a Roketa MC-114 Moped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, just picked this thing up this afternoon. Pic is from the website, i'll post pics of mine in a day or two as my wife took the camera with her and is out of town.

1246251362815.JPG

It's a 50cc 4-speed moped look-alike. Not a CVT like most scooters/mopeds - it has a foot shifter (automatic clutch) and an indicator on the dash to show what gear you're in.

What I like about it is the fact that it has the old-school moped looks and older/more familiar conveniences = Electric & Kick start, manual choke, gear shifter, fuel shut-off valve, chain drive, automatic clutch, etc. Almost all new scooters have a fuel pump, no fuel shut-off valve, automatic choke (that doesn't always work like it should), and some don't have a back-up kick start.

I immediately changed out the shipping oil to SuperTech 15w40 and i'll change it out a couple of times by 100-miles - gets rid of the sparkles (yes, it's a Chonda) and helps ensure long engine life. Recommended OCI is 2000km, but i'll probably go 1k since it only has an oil screen filter. I'll flush it out a few times with SuperTech and then switch it to Rotella T 15w40 like my other stuff - only 1 oil to buy for all of my small engines.

Well, what do you guys think?

All Chrome = Flat Black and Plastic = OD Green with Ammo Can hard bags?
28.gif

P.S. - in Missouri a Moped has to have an automatic transmission to meet the legal definition, but if I don't tell then they probably won't notice anyway. They don't worry about scooters/mopeds here much anyway - too much other stuff more important I guess.

Last edited:
Well, don't know abou the top speed yet - kinda taking it easy on the break-in. I'm using the 'Ride it like you'll ride it' method. They're supposed to do about 45 all-out.

Shaman - yeah, just chop off the muffler and let her breathe - just kidding. Since I don't plan on hauling a passenger, the rear seat pad might come off and be replaced with a milk crate - keeping the old-school look.

Originally Posted By: Scooter_man

Well, what do you guys think?

My sympathies. 1960's technology at 2010's prices.

Looks pretty robust in the pics. A disk brake on the front would have been a nice touch. Lots of practicality. I like that. Suspension looks pretty stout too. If it's as good as it looks, it should be a nice machine. Let us know how it works out.

I like the idea of having a transmission with gears. I own an ATV with an automatic transmission and wouldn't give you a dime for another auto. I hated it so much that the next year, I went out and bought the exact same machine with a manual transmission.

Website says top speed is 50 Kmph, which I think is about 37 MPH. I don't know if I'd dare ride anything that small in this city.

Looks like a good bike. I bet it's great on gas.

Hey all, yeah the auto clutch takes a bit of getting used to again - reminds me of the old Honda 3-wheelers which I remember all too well.

You can't go by all of the website's specs, in 4th gear it is running pretty low rpm's and has no trouble hitting 40-mph on a flat or 45 downhill. I'm still not pushing it though, gonna give it a little while beofre WOT to see just what it'll do.

Being a 50 (49.9 cc) - i'm guessing 80-100 mpg, but time will tell. I do like having dual rear shocks again, as most 49cc scooters only have the single offset shock in the rear.

The brakes do fine so far - pedal rear brake and hand front brake, but no problems stopping quickly if I have to.

One of the other things I like about the gears vs. CVT is that I can let the engine slow me down - creating back-pressure to help force the rings to seat properly. Oh well, i'll post some pics tomorrow as my wife will be back late this evening when i'm at work.

Oh yeah, Sunruh will be proud - i'm using SuperTech 15w40
lol.gif

Last edited:
All the drunks around here that have lost there licenses have got scooters, we call em "drunk bikes" LOL.. no real point to my post, just made me think of all of them is all. there's alot of scooters around here :)

Jeff - parts are no problem between Roketa's website and a few online scooter stores that specialize in Chinese scooters and parts.

Otis - Yeah, it happens around here too but the local cops pretty well know who is driving them without a license.

They (law enforcement) probably really wonder about me since I always wear a helmet on a scooter or moped - reguardless of size. Yes, i'm probably one of the very few that actually does wear a helmet but a semi-recent incident reminded me of how valuable helmets really are.

Well, 4rd OC at 250 km's (at 30, 60, 100, and 250) and practically no glitter at all. Actually it wasn't bad at all at 100 km's but I have a few gallons of SuperTech 15w40 laying around so i'm not out much by doing this. Considering how it looked, i'll be good now until 1000 km's (600 or so miles) which will be my normal OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scooter_man
Jeff - parts are no problem between Roketa's website and a few online scooter stores that specialize in Chinese scooters and parts.

Otis - Yeah, it happens around here too but the local cops pretty well know who is driving them without a license.

They (law enforcement) probably really wonder about me since I always wear a helmet on a scooter or moped - reguardless of size. Yes, i'm probably one of the very few that actually does wear a helmet but a semi-recent incident reminded me of how valuable helmets really are.

Well, 4rd OC at 250 km's (at 30, 60, 100, and 250) and practically no glitter at all. Actually it wasn't bad at all at 100 km's but I have a few gallons of SuperTech 15w40 laying around so i'm not out much by doing this. Considering how it looked, i'll be good now until 1000 km's (600 or so miles) which will be my normal OCI.

for sure, I tell you i feel sorry (kinda) for them fellas in the dead of winter, sub 20 degree weather. We see em cruising all over the place in coverals and hunter orange hats.. Its pretty obvious at that point.. but i do give em credit, there going to and from.. doing what they gotta do to get around.. hope they learned the lesson though ! ive seen em in 6-9 inches of snow and slush. WOW.. same goes for the power chair clans, you see them baja'ing through some pretty serious stuff ! soryy not trying to hi-jack your thread.. I just cant help but laugh a little.

Last edited:
No license needed in NC under 50cc (just be over 16 and wear a helmet). No registration/plate/insurance needed either. We call them "Likkersickles" (liquor cycles).

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
No license needed in NC under 50cc (just be over 16 and wear a helmet). No registration/plate/insurance needed either. We call them "Likkersickles" (liquor cycles).

Likkersicles.... Good one! Will they run on alcohol?

Well, a few pics - better late than never. Sorry about the poor picture quality, it's a junk camera.

moped-1.jpg

moped-2.jpg

Well, nothing special to note on these 2 pics above, but it is kinda neat and different.

moped-rear.jpg

I like the dual rear shocks - it's a pretty comfortable ride actually.

mopedengine.jpg

Yes, the mighty 50cc Chonda engine - well, it's works.

mopedspeedo.jpg

The only way this thing would hit 80-mph is off the side of a cliff. They use the same body/frame/etc. with different engine sizes, I just got the small one. I believe they come in a 50, 70, 90, and a 110.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back