2007 BMW R1200S

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just aquired a beautiful 2007 R1200S. He has several questions for me to ask here. He has over 30 years of bike experience in owning, riding, buying and rebuilding older bikes such as older Harley's, BMW's, Nortons, Ariel's MotoGuzi and Ducotti's. Forgive my spelling on these bikes as I am not familier with a few of them. He is not one for Forums, Blogs etc.(but is an ebay nut) so, I'll be asking the questions for him. He usually doesn't ask me too many questions about bikes and often just visits the dealerships. I don't visit this particular section of BITOG as I don't own anything pertaining to this section. Here goes!

1) Oil Filters...He has just purchaced 3 filters for $28.00, Bike Master Filters that he thought were actual BMW oil filters until they were delivered to his home. No, they weren't advertised as BMW filters, he was just assuming as they looked so close in the pic's. There isn't much on the filters pertaining to a part # except this number...17-1602. Does anyone here know anything about Bike Master Filters?

2) A bike friend of my buddy's recomends Mobil 1 20W50 oil. The OM recomends 20W50 along with several other acceptable weights/grades. Any comments on this oil?

3) Brake/Clutch fluid: Any recomendations here? The OM is very vague from our quick browsing through it and only recomends seeing the BMW dealership.

That's it for now. Hope there are those of you that can help.

You can usually only get oem parts from a dealer, but I'm sure those can be cross referenced to other brand filter mfgrs. As long as he uses the correct weight oil, and type for the temp's listed in the manual, any brand or type should work just fine. And brake fluid types, are usually written on the bikes master cylinder covers.Or you can check the manual. You don't want to mix types unless the book says it ok. I know when my friend had his bmw, they had a two year fluid change recommendation for the abs.,,

Well, like I mentioned earlier, he usually just goes the the dealer. I was specificaly asking about Bike Master Filters.(3/$28 as compared to $16 each/dealer).

He'll probably use 20W50 as this is what he usually uses(Castrol)

Brake/clutch fluid is vague to nada in the OM.

If the BMW has ABS it may use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 i use motul 5.1 in my K model.
Top of cover or manual will give the correct spec.

In the U.S. for BMW products i use only fluids from BMW including oil.I have seen bad cam wear in bikes (not only BMW) using U.S. spec Mobil 1 from the PX in Germany.
No idea if another brand of oil would have cause the issue or not or if was just the U.S. spec oil combined with extended full throttle use.Regardless the cams were badly pitted and worn,when replaced and BMW oil (Castrol) or Castrol RS was used the issue never came back.

Not a Mobil 1 slam just an observation.

Edit I never heard of these filters,BMW original IMO is the way to go.

Last edited:
I have ridden BMW since 1973. I have had airheads, a k bike, and currently have two oilheads 2007 GS and a 2009 RT. I agree that Mobil 1 15W50 is a good pick. I have used it in the past in both R and K bikes. Many of my fellow Beemer riders have too. I have been using Mobil Delvac 15W40 in both machines since new with great success....very stout oil and has exhibited both cold and hot weather characteristics, easy starting at 25 degrees in Duluth last November and little usage running all day at high speeds on summer trips. I use OEM filters, but my dealer is offering some after market filter with Flow in the name, but I cannot remember what it is. As often as we change these bikes I cannot see skimping on filters. Delvac is a great oil at a great price point. Any brand name HDEO 15W40 will do the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back