How dedicated are you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fancy myself as a 80% of the time, two wheeled commuter, I havent driven my truck to work in two weeks and my little 250 ninja has been and usually is my DD since i got rid of the Cavalier. I keep a inexpensive pair of rain pants in my lunch bag and use a textile semi-waterproof jacket most of the time.. But today i drew the line, It was really commng down when it was time for me to leave for work.. I started the truck and arrived at work dry. Im a little bummed becouse im saving so much $ rideing to work, but i suppose at some point there is a limit. where do you stand ?

For me it depends on different things...am I running late, how I'm feeling, traffic, etc etc. I've ridden in snow, hail, lighting, 100's on the thermo, etc and it always just depends on my mood and those other variables.

If I'm really in the mood to ride, it's gonna take ALOT to keep me off the bike. Riding is a very personal thing for me so I don't pay much attention to anything other than what I want to do if it be weather, clothing, helmet or no etc So dedication for me is to the freedom to choose and not necessarily the "have to's" of riding.

Back when I owned my BMW and Vespa the only time I did not ride was either below freezing weather or snow. Everything else it was the Vespa around town and the BMW for road trips.

I ride strictly for pleasure.

Risking injury/death or suffering any type of discomfort to ride is out. If I'm caught in it, I'll deal with it as necessary. Otherwise, I don't intentionally leave when the weather is bad. Last week, a Michigan man traveling the north shore of Lake Superior, was riding in the rain, lost control and died. I'm still here to tell the tale.

While I mostly scooter around for pleasure (get away from the wife
27.gif
) I also use my scooters and bike to commute. I have a 14-mile round trip and it is definately more enjoyable on 2 wheels.

With that being said, I try not to ride in severe weather and below freezing. Come on now, we've all been caught in the rain on the bike and kept going - at least until it got too bad or found a good overpass to hide under.

In the end, I just try to use a little common sense weather-wise and rely on the forcasters (that's why I get caught in the rain) when I make the decision to ride or take the car.

Last edited:
I ride when weather is good. Since the commute has changed a bit, the bike hasnt been getting daily use here lately. Hopefully that will change shortly. I certainly like 50mpg better than 18!

A man has to know his limitations. If you don't trust how you will react in bad weather, stay home. If you have never rode in the rain for more then 5 minutes, stay home. If you don't own a rain suit, stay home. If you think riding in rain will hurt your bikes resale value, stay home. If you stay home while your friends decided to go, and a 1/2 hour later it stopped raining, the sun came out and it turned into one of the ten best days of the year to ride, you'll never be able to convince anyone your not a WEENIE, no matter how much "safety" logic you throw at it.,,

"you'll never be able to convince anyone your not a WEENIE, no matter how much "safety" logic you throw at it."

Tell that to the dead guy from Michigan.

By comparison, being a "WEENIE" looks pretty good.

Any MAN worth his salt really doesn't care what people think.

Being concerned about what people think of you is a peacock thing... Goes with the costumes, chrome and loud pipes.

Wisdom trumps vanity every time!

NEWS FLASH!!!! People die every day!!!! That guy could have just as well died crossing the street or had a heart attack, or ran his car into a tree. It happens. I for one don't care what other people think about if I ride in the rain or the cold. Although I tend to be respectful of others opinions. Please tell me, what does chrome and loud pipes have to do with this post? Wisdom would say not to ride a motorcycle at all,as they are inherently dangerous. And if your a real WEENIE don't ride in the rain.Like my reply above says. Only the really "SAFE " riders cower under a bridge and use their cell phone to call for a trailer.So if your scared to ride in the rain, stay home and feel wise.,,

"Please tell me, what does chrome and loud pipes have to do with this post?"

Sounds like you're getting your feathers ruffled!

It's the peacock syndrome. Costumes, chrome and noise are devices to draw attention to ones self because one is concerned what other people think of them. Hence the fear of being a "WEENIE" in the eyes of the other peacocks. Get it?

I find it amusing that you use the words cower and weenie as a feeble attempt to intimidate those with the wisdom to make safe riding choices.

Sure motorcycles can be dangerous. So are guns. However, if one does not point the gun at one's self, it's unlikely to injure him/her.

Riders who make wise decisions will enjoy riding as much as the next guy and likely live longer than those who don't.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I prefer to stand on this side of sanity. One of many reasons I don't own a bike.

probably very smart, but doesnt sound like much fun..

boraticus,what the he** are you talking about? You've made a big mistake,this is not the show how much of a weenie you are post.It seems you've showed your colors tho. It's for real riders that will risk the safety of their easy chair, and ride when things aren't perfect sunny and warm.If you would like to discuss rain suits I'm in for that. That's what you wear when it's raining and your riding your motorcycle.Beside making smart a** comments about things you obviously had read to you in Harley hater magazine, do you even own a motorcycle? You must really cherry pick any days you ride not too hot, too cold , no rain, no wind, no bugs, to dusty. Go sit in your garage and make motorcycle noises, and don't forget to wear your helmet in case you fall off.,

ive got some great pictures of my last trackday, boy that was a downpoor. with the proper rideing gear, and everyone's own comfort level, i can see a very long list of responces to this question. i dont think there is a right or wrong awnser, its all personal choice & comfort level, months after my bikes are up for the winter, there is a guy that rides a victory at work with nothing but a leather vest on, at or near freezing temps, i think he's just trying to show how tuff he is, there's no way he's comfortable. but hey, its his thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back