Tire Recommendation for 2007 Saturn Vue

Status
Not open for further replies.
While washing my wife's 2007 Saturn Vue (V6, FWD, 17" wheel option) last month, I noticed that the tires were pretty well worn. They'll be fine for the rest of the summer and through the fall, but I'm going to have to replace them before snow starts to fall in November/December here in Southeast Michigan.

She's a stay-at-home-mom and uses the vehicle mainly to tote our two kids around town to school and their various activities plus grocery shopping, etc. We also take it on family trips a handful of times during the year. Annual mileage is usually around 10,000.

The current tires are the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T's. They stink. The tread will be shot around 35,000 miles. They're not something I'll consider buying another set of.

After doing some research and shopping, my current short list is:

Dunlop Signature CS $517 ($477)
Kumho Solus KH16 $551 ($511)
Michelin Primacy MXV4 $605 - After $70 MIR ($565)

Through some strategic use of coupons, I think I can save an additional $40 off each of the above. That's what the second price in parentheses is.

What do you guys think?

I am trying a set of general grabber hts tires, so far i like the ride and they have great wet weather handling. Good reviews i will have to wait to see what the life is. I put them on my escape. I have had great life out of michelin cross terrains, but they really cost.

I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 on a sedan. They only have about 6,000 miles on them but so far so good. It is my belief that the Michelin brand in general is a little pricey, but in my experience,they have less issues during the time of ownership. You might check out the Tirerack site under reviews and then click on the maximum miles used narrowed down to each of your choices. This would give you some idea of life expectancy assuming there are quite a few miles driven on a tire collectively.

Last edited:
1st choice Michelin
2nd choice Humho

I've owned two sets of Kumhos and multiple Michelins. expecially since the price is similar: Michelins..

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
My vote goes for the Kumho.

They're a good tire but they wear quickly. I would go for the Michelins even though they cost more. Or try a Cooper.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Michelin, you get what you pay for.

I don't think Michelin always falls into place with that statement.
I think a lot of the time their tires are just plain too expensive and not very good.

I have Toyos on my Saturn right now and the regular BF Goodrich Costco tires that came off the car originally are much better. The Toyos cost a lot more.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Yokohama Avid TRZ with 80,000 miles threadwear warranty, Made in USA.

Threadwear?

Originally Posted By: barlowc

After doing some research and shopping, my current short list is:

Dunlop Signature CS $517 ($477)
Kumho Solus KH16 $551 ($511)
Michelin Primacy MXV4 $605 - After $70 MIR ($565)

Through some strategic use of coupons, I think I can save an additional $40 off each of the above. That's what the second price in parentheses is.

What do you guys think?

Are these price out of the door ? Installation, balance, tax ... included ?

Michelin.

I have 235/65-16 Energy LX4's on my '03 VUE and they have been great. I dumped the H/T's at 34K becuase the wet traction was awful and only getting worse.

The LX4's have just over 60K now and are down to 5/32". They are still quiet and smooth and have never been rebalanced except one tire that had to be patched.

They have worn perfectly even also, rotating every 6K front-to-rear only.

The only complaint I have is that they were less than $90 each in '05 but are now $150/ea.

Being that my lower grade LX4's have done so well, the MXV4's should be really good.

What about Kelly Nav golds?

A co worker's wife has them on her 05 Vue, and they have been flawless so far...even saw a little snow up north, and did well.

My wife has them on her Cavalier, and they have been great so far. Not the sportiest tire, but they have always given traction when needed( they did well in a few snow storms last winter)

70k warranty, and either Belle tire (or a goodyear dealer) and quite a few local indy shops have them, the much cheaper too..

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For about $10 per tire more I would choose Kumho Solus KR21 over Kumho Solus KH16, treadwear of KR21 is 680 while KH16 is only 440.

The KR21's have a very optimistic warranty to say the least. In reality they're a 50,000 mile tire on anything other than a sub compact.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For about $10 per tire more I would choose Kumho Solus KR21 over Kumho Solus KH16, treadwear of KR21 is 680 while KH16 is only 440.

The Kumho KR21 only got a fair (i.e. half-black circle) by Consumer Reports, so I question whether they'd be a good choice for Michigan and our winters.

According to consumer survey on Tirerack, the Kumho KR21 performs better than KH16 in winter snow and ice. The other tire in your first post Dunlop Signature CS is not better than Kumho KR21 in winter, while Michelin Primacy MXV4 is slightly better.

If you can afford Michelin Primacy MXV4 price, I would go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back