How much PAG oil? (Ford guys, chime in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, please do NOT say "measure how much came out, and pour that amount back in." My AC system had NO oil in it, which is why it failed in the first place. I am completely overhauling the AC system in my 94 Explorer. Everything is brand new, except the compressor which I bought used, and the evaporator, which is the original (still need to flush it out). I need to know how much oil to add, and where to add it (a few oz's in compressor, a few in accumulator?). I already added about 1 oz to the condenser before I installed it. I THINK it uses about 7 oz total. Will some of this oil be lost when I vacuum the system down later?

Ya the system holds about 7 oz. if you had no oil then the compressor would have seized and you would have metal particles throughout the system.

you better change the accumulator and oriface filter,
2 oz in the condensor, 2 in the accumulator the rest in the compressor.

Originally Posted By: sprint
Ya the system holds about 7 oz. if you had no oil then the compressor would have seized and you would have metal particles throughout the system.

Yeah, the compressor DID seize and I DID have metal particles throughout the system. Hence why I'm overhauling the entire system.

When I say everything is brand new, I mean EVERYTHING. I bought a new accumulator, orifice tube, condenser, all lines/hoses, and all o-rings. The ONLY thing I'm reusing like I said before, is the evaporator.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
In AC class they told us 3.5oz of oil for every ounce of refrigerant. Has worked well for me.

shocked2.gif
other way around maybe? There are some trucks that take over 4 lbs of R134, that would be a lot of oil.

This is vehicle specific.
Many compressors ship with some oil, and sometimes receivers/accumulators.
You gotta get a factory manual of search AllData

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Chris142
In AC class they told us 3.5oz of oil for every ounce of refrigerant. Has worked well for me.

shocked2.gif
other way around maybe? There are some trucks that take over 4 lbs of R134, that would be a lot of oil.
Oops ya. Heat gettin to me. 3.5oz per pound or refrigerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back