Does Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 meet GM-LL-A-025?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchase some of the "European Formula" made in Germany oil from Autozone to change the oil in my '06 Saab 9-3 2.0T. It's listed as meeting the GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-025 requirement on both the Autozone and Castrol websites but not on the bottle.

Don't want this to become a debate over whether or not it's better than M1, I bought it simply because they are running a deal where I saved some $$$ when I bought the oil with a K&N oil filter (basically get the filter and a quart of oil for free). Since Saab is pretty specific regarding this requirement, I want to make sure I'll be putting in the right stuff.

Thanks!

Castrol 0W-30 GC

API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD
European ACEA: A3, B3, B4
VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01
MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5
BMW LL–01
GM–LLA–025
GM–LL–B–025
ILSAC GF–3
not on the current Porsche approved list(probably from wt as doug points out)

OK, I changed the oil with Syntec. Funny thing is that even if it does meet the GM Long Life Spec, Castrol's website says "NO MATCH" for recommended oil(s) in the WHICH OIL TO BUY section of their site...

Originally Posted By: f2racer
OK, I changed the oil with Syntec. Funny thing is that even if it does meet the GM Long Life Spec, Castrol's website says "NO MATCH" for recommended oil(s) in the WHICH OIL TO BUY section of their site...

That might be due to its viscosity.

Shouldn't be, this is straight from the owners manual:

Approved oils:
For all gasoline engines - fully synthetic engine oil - approved against the GM-LL-A025 specification - with viscosity SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40. To benefit from Saab's specified service intervals, pleasure ensure to select a fully synthetic engine oil approved against GM-LL-A025. For optimum performence Saab recommends the use of Saab Long Life Turbo Oil 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula, but other fully synthetic oils approved against the above specification and with proper SAE viscosity 0W-30 or 0W-40 may also be used.

Last edited:
BTW, the "pleasure ensure" is not a typo, it's in the PDF owners manual I found online...
saab_oil.jpg

Originally Posted By: f2racer
BTW, the "pleasure ensure" is not a typo, it's in the PDF owners manual I found online...
saab_oil.jpg

LMAO @ pleasure.

I have seen other "what oil for my car" oil selectors be wholly wrong compared to the owner's manual or most recent guidance from the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
f2racer i hope your 06 Saab likes the GC do you plan on doing an used oil analysis?

Sure I'd be happy to, but your not supposed to do the analysis until the second change with the same type of oil right? So I won't be sending any out for 20k miles...

I emailed Castrol support when I originally posted this question. They finally got back to me with the following:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Castrol,

As per the attached product data sheet, Castrol Syntec 0W-30 meets
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025.

Castrol Consumer Relations

You will notice that MANY posts have been removed due to going WAY off topic.
31.gif

Please do not continue with oil spill info/discussion/bashing/trolling in this thread.

Any comments PM me.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back