Lucas Red n' Tacky - observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know better, but it was the only thing I could get at the time...but I've had a tube of this stuff in my spare gun for about 6 months...it just rides around the country with me, in case I happen to need a grease gun.

I took the grease gun out the other day to grease a friend's tractor...at least several ounces of red oil ran out the non-business end of the gun! It had separated that much. I was amazed at how much free oil was there...I keep it in a plastic bag, just because grease guns tend to drip; but I never had one literally run oil on the ground!

Another reason to shy away...

Heat will do that, I use shell products at work and the very same thing happens... Also we have a oil that is pretty much been made into a grease, it's a lubricating oil however they have made it thick for sticking and not running off when the auto lubrication system kicks in.. these are very expensive greases and yet they do the exact same thing as you mentioned... also the summer heat will make it even worse.

my red & tacky has a very slow drip in the summer. it's hanging from the wall in the pistol gun.
But when I shoot it into a joint, it's grease! haven't had ANY ball joint issues since. my 8yr old valvoline synpower grease cartridge drips once in a while, but it's not as close to the hot door.

I've never noticed significant oil separation problems with red & tacky.

If it's under pressure and in a hot car I would imagine almost any grease will bleed. It's when the grease separates in the original tube and in the house/shed that I get worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back