Liqui Moly 5W-30 + RL 30WT, 03 Golf TDI ALH, 20K

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 VW Golf 1.9L TDI ALH, 5spd manual.
UOA is done by Polaris Lab.
Mile at sampling: 210,187 miles
Miles on oil: 20,067 miles in about 11 months
Oil: 4L Liqui Moly 5W-30 + 2.0qt Redline 30WT Racing oil. Make up oil is 2L of Liqui Moly 5W-30 oil including the 6oz of sample.
Oil filter: VW full flow + new Amsoil BE90 bypass
Air Filter: Fram
Fuel filter: VW

Car is used mostly 90% highway and 10% city. Most trips are 65 miles one way. Fuel is mostly Fly'n J with 8oz of 2 cycle dino oil (Havoline TCW3) per 15 gallons. Fuel mileage is on the high side of 51mpg with best to date of 58 mpg (no A/C). I am still running this oil and will take it out to 30K miles since TBN and wear metals are good. Oil consumption is higher than the Royal Purple + RedLine that I also ran for 20K but the Liqui Moly is a Group III versus the Royal Purple which is a Group IV. (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1247741#Post1247741)

Iron...............23
Chromium........1
Aluminum.........5
Copper............3
Lead...............3
Silicon.............9
Sodium............6
Molybdenum......311
Antimony..........2
Boron..............27
Magnesium.......172
Calcium...........2770
Phosphorus.......1577
Zinc..............1424

Fuel............. 0.7%
Soot............. 0.1%
Water (IR)...... < 0.1
VIS @ 100C ..... 11.9 cSt
TBN.............. 7.39
IR Oxidation.... 51
IR Nitration..... 17

For 20k, that is amazing. With 7.39 TBN still, you could have gone more than 30k miles on this oil.

Maybe 40000 miles; especially considering that the oil is refreshed with 1L every 10000 miles. but with your long distance high speed driving pattern the fuel dilution is a bit curious.

Charlie

Prior to running the Red Line blend I was getting higher wear metals, at least 25% more, even with Amsoil 5W-40 and 15W-40. Also, the Red Line does seem to improve fuel economy no matter what oil I blend it with.

Wow, impressive. I missed this one somehow. But you used a bypass. That makes a significant difference.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Same higher wear without the Red Line with or without the bypass.

Your engine will last just as long in both situations. I can tell ya such a small change in wear numbers (25% of a small number) functionally amounts to nothing.

You forgot that I am trying to decrease viscosity so the 25% or more will matter later on when the wear increases due to the lower viscosity. I am willing to live with a 60ppm of iron per 10K if I can gain an extra 2mpg from the lower viscosity. But if the number is 80ppm or greater then I might not, see what I mean?

Last edited:
You forgot that I am trying to decrease viscosity so the 25% or more will matter later on when the wear increases due to the lower viscosity. I am willing to live with a 60ppm of iron per 10K if I can gain an extra 2mpg from the lower viscosity. But if the number is 80ppm or greater then I might not, see what I mean?

OK, I see now.

I am going down to a 20WT with my next oil change and then 10WT after that. I pretty much throw the VW spec out of the window by going to a lower viscosity. I also ran a lot of CH-4 and CI-4 oil in the past that are not on VW approved list.

I am going down to a 20WT with my next oil change and then 10WT after that. I pretty much throw the VW spec out of the window by going to a lower viscosity. I also ran a lot of CH-4 and CI-4 oil in the past that are not on VW approved list.
..I have been useing reg 5/20 in my old 1986,300K/mi,(with original motor and oil pump), vw, turbo diesel, for the past 2 yrs..its more of an experiment for me then anything else..I "feel" I should have used thinner and more slippery oils a long time ago because the car runs smoother, uses less fuel, consumes less oil, less start-up smoke if any,(depends on the temperature)..it is "very" noticeable upon the morning start-up, when comparing to the recommended thicker oil, just how quickly max oil pressure is obtained..also had the oil tested by Blackstone at the first 3500mi..nothing abnormal to be found for that era of auto

It easier to run thinner oil if you live up in Canada. Here in AZ the temperature is 110-120F in the shade during the summer month. VW recommends xW50-60WT for my neck of the wood.

It easier to run thinner oil if you live up in Canada. Here in AZ the temperature is 110-120F in the shade during the summer month. VW recommends xW50-60WT for my neck of the wood.

You're probably looking at an old viscosity chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back