Manufactures OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bike is a 07 Honda 919. 3.8 quart shared sump. 10000k redline.
Manual oci is GN4 10w30 for 8k miles. So what oil is good for 8k miles?

Well any HDEO 15W40 like Rotella T should be more durable than Honda GN4. I think 8K miles is too long as a bike especially with a shared sump would be harder on oil than a car.

By the time you hit 8000 miles on any oil your shifting will be so horrible you'll wish you had changed it out. I think you're better off changing at half that, or more likely anually, with something like Rotella 5-40 or RedLine or...

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well any HDEO 15W40 like Rotella T should be more durable than Honda GN4. I think 8K miles is too long as a bike especially with a shared sump would be harder on oil than a car.

+1 8k is far to long, hard to believe the manufacturer recomends that. weird.

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
My bike is a 07 Honda 919. 3.8 quart shared sump. 10000k redline.

With a 10 million rpm redline I hope you are using a good oil and changing it every 60 seconds.

Joking, obviously. Drop the k

i notice hondas do that 8000 oci. i wish my victory had a longer oci. its only 2500 miles. I dont mind changing the oil on my motorcycle, i kinda enjoy it to be honest. but it would be nice if i wasnt Forced to change it and show receipts of doing so in order to keep the extended warranty (read the fine print).

I don't worry about. I change my oil and filter every fall, use a good synthetic both in the crankcase and in the rear end and I'm good to go for the entire riding season.

Originally Posted By: arkainzeye
i notice hondas do that 8000 oci. i wish my victory had a longer oci. its only 2500 miles. I dont mind changing the oil on my motorcycle, i kinda enjoy it to be honest. but it would be nice if i wasnt Forced to change it and show receipts of doing so in order to keep the extended warranty (read the fine print).

Which Victory model do you have? I've been looking at the Hammer lately. Nice bike!!!

Hmmm,

You’re going to get lots of opinions with this question but very little real data.
I seem to be one of the few that run long OCIs and post my test data.
I run 8,000 miles in my ST1100 (mfg recommended OCI) and have used mostly HDEOs as well as Maxlife, Honda GN4, GC, etc.
They all performed well for me and I was happy with the test results.
The bike has just less than 145,000 miles on it now and runs great with no oil consumption and good compression. Most of the miles are freeway commuting, cruising between 4,000 and 4,300 RPMs with occasional Redline (8,000 RPM) bursts :)

I can’t tell any difference in shift feel between new and old oil and see no measurable difference in gas mileage.

By the way, I recently posted my test results with the Redline 15W50 that’s in the bike now with 8,000 miles on it. I left the Redline in the bike and will re-test the oil at 12,000.

Rick

I was looking for an alternative to bike oils or hdeo's. Bike oils seem overpriced and it seems like a false economy to run hdeo's if you changing it out at 2000 miles.

Not me , I see alot of posts saying that. I was just looking for some opinions on the oci in my manual. I use amsoil 10w40 bike oil change at 5k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back