Grooves in new rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fellas, you helped me when I asked about installing my new pads and rotors so maybe you can help me out with the problem that followed.

I installed new duralast ceramic pads and rotors on my accord about 2000 miles ago (max) and the rotors have developed grooves on 3 out of 4 of them. Only 1 rotor has a groove deep enough to even barely snag with my fingernail. The others just kind of look like a smooth record. When installing them, I cleaned them very well.

Is this something I should worry about or is this something normal for ceramic pads? I don't believe my civic did this, but those were Bendix brand if I recall correctly.

Thanks in advance!

I'll try and get one tomorrow on my lunch break or after work if it isn't raining. I'm not sure what the weather forecast is for tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend a different brake brand. I used duralast on my 91 honda civic for years and always had issues with the pads(wearing down fast) and rotors(warping). My rear drums and brake shoes are due and I'm considering a different brand. What's good out there these days?

I've had really good results with Akebono Ceramics, Performance Friction Carbon Metallic, and Wagner Power Stop. I am not impressed with the Duralast Ceramics on my toyota.

Ok here are some pics. Sorry that they are huge, I can't resize them here (I even tried resizing using bbcode) but I was able to crop them a little bit on my phone. The middle one is the deepest groove.

2f61416e.jpg

6ca1a328.jpg

56ce512c.jpg

i've seen this before with cheap brake pads, i believe the problem is that the metal they ad to the compound isn't consistent in size, some chunks are to large and create a groove due to basically being metal to metal in that spot, it can also cause a squeal. most of the time this will go away after a couple thousand miles and won't be an issue again while other times it will continue causing some level of scoring on the rotors through out the life of the pads.

Last edited:
In many or most vehicles I think the grooves are normal. I used quality EBC rotors and Motorcraft heavy duty pads when I had the front brakes changed on my truck. The grooves developed shortly after in both rotors. They do not seem to affect braking at all. Both of my Rangers and my Explorer had grooves in the rotors.

Keep driving them until they warp.

Most parts companies won't warranty a warped rotor, they blame it on a caliper or something else causing the warp.

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. I'll let them ride until I (possibly) start to develope any kind of issue. Both the pads and rotors are under warranty and if they try to blow me off later on, they won't get very far in doing so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back