Out with GN-4 10-40, In with Delvac 15-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lurch
Now I'm confused again.

In a nutshell Lurch, Delvac does not seem to be the most robust HDEO oil when it comes to shearing. Rotella T and ST seem to hold viscocity longer than Delvac.

That said Delvac is still a good value in oil for your bike and would most likely still out perform many "motocycle" specific oils.

Stick with 2-3k oil changes on your bike using dino HDEO's and you will be fine.
Even the best oils eventualy get thrashed in a shared sump bike. Buy cheap (HDEO) and change often (3k and under).

If you really want to push your OCI out longer run a $13/qt ester based syn like Maxima or Motul.

Thanks for this info.

When you say cheap HDEO, are you referring to Rotella T, Delvac, etc.?

In the 80s and early to mid 90s I ran plain old Castrol 10-40 or 20-50 in bikes and it seemed to do a fine job. It doesn't say energy conserving (I checked yesterday) so I don't think it will mess with the wet clutch.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Thanks for this info.

When you say cheap HDEO, are you referring to Rotella T, Delvac, etc.?

In the 80s and early to mid 90s I ran plain old Castrol 10-40 or 20-50 in bikes and it seemed to do a fine job. It doesn't say energy conserving (I checked yesterday) so I don't think it will mess with the wet clutch.

1. Yes

2. Castrol GTX viscocity looks like [censored] water very quickly.

Alright thanks again for replying.

A couple more q's if you don't mind.

Do you think Rotella T6 5w40 synth would work better in my bike than Rotella T 15w40, Delvac, and Delo non synth? I bought 3 gallons of T6 on sale cheap, and was even wondering how it would work in my car if I liked running Delvac a lot.

Would the OCI lengthen on T6 synth on my motorcycle, over Delvac type HDEO?

I would not legnthen your OCI with T6 because the 5w40 grades tend to shear out faster than the 15w40 grades as a whole.

Unless you are driving in real cold weather there is no reason to use a 5w40 over the dino 15w40's.

If you ahve a bunch of T6 then use it, its a good oil, I think you are over thinking which oil to use and should put that energy into riding. ALL of the oils that you mentioned will be better than your run of the mill Honda GN4 Yamalube etc.

I see what you mean. Delvac would make the bike last until 2052. Rotella until 2053. It's like cutting hairs.

One thing I won't do is go back to GTX in my bike.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Scooter_man
Sunruh - have you tested the newer SuperTech CJ-4 15w40 yet?

no.
i've been trying to heal a shoulder injury. that didnt work, so i had to have surgery on it. i had a SLAP tear. to fix that they drill 2 holes into your shoulder socket, hammer in 2 darts and the pull the labrum back together and suture it to the darts. FUN!
as of today i am 26 days post-op.

i have started testing amsoil in that i have the flush fill in it right now. as soon as i am healed up and cleared to ride i will finish the amsoil test and then its onto either t6 or st.

if the susvis falls out of grade, it proves the VII pack is not as robust as others. with multi-vis you are supposed to get quick cold flow yet at hot keep the parts oiled properly like a straight weight. best of both worlds. my testing has proven that some (a few) do this WAY better than others. truth not in advertising!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back