What oil for 2000 wrx track car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I am just confusing myself more and more with oils and have been reading many things for the past week.

I have a 2000 wrx that is built as a track car.

Has forged bottom end, race bearings, td05-20g turbo and big injectors.
Also a drilled crank

Running about 200kw atw.

On recommendation of a previous tuner (who knew his stuff about subarus) i was using mobil delvac MX which is a 15w-40 oil and it is actually aimed at diesels.

This did not make a lot of sense to us, but he knew what he was talking about so i trusted him.

Since then there has been a falling out with that tuner and we have practically rebuilt the car (same engine just has sti cams now).
And the couple tuners i have talked to have said its pretty weird to be using a diesel oil and recommend a fully synth.

I was running out of time and before her tune and ended up putting in castrol edge sport 10w60 just to get going, however after further reading i am thinking this may be to thick for my engine.

I am based in australia, and generally my oil temps on the track will get between 100-120c depending on the weather outside.

So i have turned to the knowledgeable members of this forum to help me out :)

If you could recommend something that is available in australia that would be good.

Reading through a 7 page topic on a lancer forum where there was a guy from Opie oils saying 10w-60 is to thick for most applications, and was recommending a 5w-40 for a lot of the evo owners. But i am still confused about what i need. (http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=244716)

If you could please recommend a weight and a brand that would be incredible!

Temperatures would rarely be below 0c when having to start in the morning.

Thanks in advance!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Give us some brand names available to you in Australia.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Give us some brand names available to you in Australia.

castrol
mobil
redline
fuchs
elf
penrite
motul
bp
Nulon

There are a few others but that is what i can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for the quick responses :)

I would look at something in the 5W-40 viscosity and out of the oils on your list I would look at Mobil, Red Line, Fuchs, and Motul. The Motul 300V seems to be very popular with the WRX crowd and I believe is the oil that was used by the Subaru team when they ran in the World Rallye races.

Thanks for the prompt response.

And would you suggest the fully synthetic version of one of those brands?

Would it not be better to go up to a 50 grade?

I have been spinning my head out reading all about this stuff. I just want my engine to be as safe as it can be :)

I would look at something in the 5W-40 viscosity and out of the oils on your list I would look at Mobil, Red Line, Fuchs, and Motul. The Motul 300V seems to be very popular with the WRX crowd and I believe is the oil that was used by the Subaru team when they ran in the World Rallye races.

I ditto this. Any of those are great, but he's right... the Scoobie guys really love Motul and have great results with it. That's what I'd go for if I were you.

I would not run a 50 grade unless the builder said so. Here's a Q&A with Fuchs that oilman posted on Scoobynet also with a recommendation of 5W-40. The Brits are really big on 50 and 60 grades.

There are actually several WRX and STI owner's here running 5W-40 mixed fleet (gas/diesel) oils here (Rotella T, Mobil1 Turbo Diesel (Delvac) and posting in the used oil analysis forum.

Like oilman, and some others here, I would probably recommend an ester based 5W-40 (Motul 300V, Red Line, etc.). Esters and mixed fleet oils will probably hold up the best in track conditions.

19.gif

-Dennis

Thanks for the replies guys.

So a 40 grade will be fine in a 38-40c track day? Some summer days get hot here. Just want to make sure it will be fine :)

Cheers.

It isn't a Subaru, but I run M1 OW40 in my Jetta on hot summer tracks here in Texas. It seems to work fine. Meaning my engine hasn't blown itself up. I hate to sound so casual, but you're probably over thinking this!

robert

Valvoline VR-1 might be fine for the track as a dino, but the synthetic version is available at AutoZone that you can use as a DD lube. SL spec. I use 10w-30 spiked with 20w-50 to taste.

The Motul 300V seems to be very popular with the WRX crowd and I believe is the oil that was used by the Subaru team when they ran in the World Rallye races.

They most certainly had Motul stickers on the Prodrive Team WRC Scoobies.

Whether or not 300V was in their sumps is anyone's guess (but I would have NO reason to doubt it, seeing how great the stuff is in competition conditions
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: robertcope
It isn't a Subaru, but I run M1 OW40 in my Jetta on hot summer tracks here in Texas. It seems to work fine. Meaning my engine hasn't blown itself up. I hate to sound so casual, but you're probably over thinking this!

robert

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the info. I am drawing the conclusion that i am reading to far into this too hahaha.

Thanks for the suggestions, it has helped me decide what oil to go with.

Cheers,
Leon

I have checked out a couple of them, and spoke to my tuner. He suggested the same as you guys (40 weight) however thought maybe we should use a 50 for now as we dont know what the clearances are just to be on the safe side.

Looking around for price to performance, possibly going to go with elf excellium 10w50

Any comments on that oil? i have not found anything bad about it yet.

What is your temp down there right now?

The track day i did on friday was a top of about 15 degrees c, oil temps didnt go over 100.

That would be around the general temp for a track day for the next few months. between 10-25 degrees. then in summer between 20 and 38ish.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back