Crank/Cam Position Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor in my 04 Altima 2.5s as a code is coming up #P0335. Both the crank and cam position sensors are the same part#. The Crank sensor is difficult to access but I'll get it. So, I pulled the cam position sensor so that I can get a good look at it(see what it looks like) so that when I attack the crank sensor, I'll know more of what Im looking for(doing it blind kinda).

Well anyway, when I disconnected the electrical connection of the cam sensor, it was full of oil and so was that portion of the sensor. Im going to replace both sensors but, my question is: maybe Im wrong but, these aren't supposed to be full of oil are they? I've never seen the connections on anything under the hood with oil in them. I sure this is why is throwing a code!

Please comment!

Sensor is full of oil because it is bad. It should be dry. Take brake clean and spray out the plug until dry.

Your in luck, just replaced both on my 03 2.5L this weekend. The crank (ankle) position sensor is a seriously royal PITA to replace. You must work all blind to do the whole procedure. The camshaft pos sensor is a walk in the park. (same part for both places).

Yes the camshaft could/should have some oil on it. Crankshaft didn't seem to have as much. Make sure you get the ones made of metal (not plastic). I got mine from AZ, not my favorite place, but they were less expensive then dealer with a 2 year warranty.

I used the following thread as an excellent reference. Any more questions feel free to PM me. Good Luck

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-200...2-5-altima.html

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Your in luck, just replaced both on my 03 2.5L this weekend. The crank (ankle) position sensor is a seriously royal PITA to replace. You must work all blind to do the whole procedure. The camshaft pos sensor is a walk in the park. (same part for both places).

Yes the camshaft could/should have some oil on it. Crankshaft didn't seem to have as much. Make sure you get the ones made of metal (not plastic). I got mine from AZ, not my favorite place, but they were less expensive then dealer with a 2 year warranty.

I used the following thread as an excellent reference. Any more questions feel free to PM me. Good Luck

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-200...2-5-altima.html

Thank you all!
Yeah Sayjac, the cam sensor is an easy one and I think I may have located the crank sensor. I ordered the metal ones from RockAuto. I have 2 on order from AAP but their plastic and Im going to cancel the order

Good move! I looked at the RA ones (Wells), but wanted to get it done this weekend. RA, less expensive. AAP pictured were plastic.

Crank shaft is pretty much adjacent to the rear motor mount. I tried multiple time to use my index and middle finger to push the green clip, no go. Then put and allen wrench/key at the end of my fingertip, much better.

The new design is 180 deg. from original between clip and bolt. Easier(some) to install/remove, but I still couldn't get much torque on the install of crank pos. but enough to snug. No codes, so I felt it was a success. Put in new sparks while I had the cover off. Right hand/fingers still a little cobbed up. lol

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor in my 04 Altima 2.5s as a code is coming up #P0335. Both the crank and cam position sensors are the same part#. The Crank sensor is difficult to access but I'll get it. So, I pulled the cam position sensor so that I can get a good look at it(see what it looks like) so that when I attack the crank sensor, I'll know more of what Im looking for(doing it blind kinda).

Well anyway, when I disconnected the electrical connection of the cam sensor, it was full of oil and so was that portion of the sensor. Im going to replace both sensors but, my question is: maybe Im wrong but, these aren't supposed to be full of oil are they? I've never seen the connections on anything under the hood with oil in them. I sure this is why is throwing a code!

Please comment!

The old style sensors were plastic, and they would go bad, and leak through the sensor and into the harness. The new style sensors are metal, and I've yet to see one of those leak oil. Check your negative ground cable to make sure that it has not rotted away from the transmission where it connects. Very common for that to go back. The crank sensor is a pita, make sure you connect the harness to the sensor before installing the sensor, otherwise it is just about impossible to get the connector on once installed. It may seem like it is on, but 9 times out of 10 it is not connected correctly. They are about $40 at the dealer.

on a side note, if this engine has higher mileage on it, it is possible you could be having timing codes from a stretch chain/worn engine.

But again, most important on these cars. BE SURE THE NEGATIVE CABLE IS STILL ATTACHED TO THE TRANSMISSION

Last edited:
Actually I had no trouble telling that Crank Sensor was secured in the contact/harness, made a distinct snap click sound, green clip moved back up and sensor was held tight. That was one of the easier parts of the installation. And, it was the inner plastic sensor portion that had some oil on it.

Likely wouldn't have attempted it without the excellent DIY in the link. Some funny comments in the thread about the difficulty of the crank sensor installation if you read the whole thing.

Well, I just replaced both Cam/Crank Pos Sen's on the Altima and the cam sensor was 5 min. The crank sensor was 6 hours. I just couldn't see anything. I could feel it and where the hold down bold was but, talk about doing a job blind...Holy sh..! You really need to be creative on this crank sensor. I removed everything that I had to remove to make the job easier. I now see why the sensor was redesigned. I uses one of my wifes small make-up mirrors in order to see into the area of the sensor. You can't hold the mirror and tool at the same time. I could see that the electric connection was in the way of the hold down bolt. On the new redesigned sensor(metal instead of plastic) the electric connection was moved 180 deg's on the other side of the sensor in order to install or remove the hold down bold. Also on the crank's electric connector, the is a green clip that isn't on the connector for the cam sensor. What the @$&*...This clip needs to be pushed inward not downward in order to pull off the connector and you can't use two hands at all. It all had to be done by finger tips. Now, my finger tips are numb. I could hardly get my fingers in there let alone my hand. I was using a platform that I had made, to step up and get high enough so that I could lean over and into the engine bay. I also had the front end up on stands so that I could try to get off the connector from underneath. All the while, I couldn't see anything that I was doing and was doing it all by feel. S-O-B!

Ya know, I don't sware often but, I did yesterday. This design is an absolute insult to the tech's doing the repair. Not only did Nissan install an inferrior part, but they located it in a very inconvenient location even for a 4 cyl where I thought I would have some room to work...Not even close!

crackmeup2.gif
Hate to say I told you so, but..... My finger tips were numb for a week to ten days. The allen/hex key on my finger tip next to my index finger worked best, but only after I tore my finger tips up. Right hand just about healed now.
lol.gif
Can laugh now, but not then.

I was left with a black and blue mark on my chest from leaning into the engine bay.

Hopefully you won't have to do it again anytime soon. But, with the new 180 deg. design you don't have to push the green clip, just remove the bolt and sensor assembly, sensor can then be removed at top of engine bay.

Thing is this part was not designed to be removed frequently and should have, if designed properly to begin with, lasted the life of the engine or close, IMO.

I take it all your codes are now cleared?

Sayjac, I had the battery disconnected the whole time I was working on the sensors so, I don't have and "Service Engine Soon" light on the dash any longer. Engine starts fast, runs great, and the power is back. A week or so will tell if another light will appear on the dash.

My chest feels OK but my right arm is all black & blue and scratched up. These bruises I can deal with as everytime I work on a car, my hands are usually all beat up. It's the design of the whole thing that P!$$@$ me off. I'm surprised my back isn't out of alignment. Finger tips are also OK as I kept using Band-Aids as protective pads around my finger tips as I was trying to push in the green tab.

Should I have to do this job again, I know now what to do and I thing it will only take a fraction of the time.

Yeah, I can laugh now!

Update on the Crank Position Sensor:

Was out with my wife this afternoon and the engine is starting long again. Ran out to Home Depot for some plumming supplies for an in home project that we're doing and a bit of shopping and then out for a bite to eat. Started fine first time today(about 1pm). And then each time that we shut off the engine and stopped to shop or eat, the Altima took "that long time" to restart just as it did prior to replacing the sensors(replaced both cam/crank p/s). It was fine all week until now...No, "Service Engine Soon" light on the dash.
HMMMMM! Im really stumped!

As stated earlier, I replaced both the cam/crank position sensors with the new updated version(round metal ends). The car had a recall several years ago in which I had gone the the dealer for a reflash on the ECU/ECM or something like that. The dealer said they had to reprogram the(I can't quite remember)the cam or the crank position sensor. I'd have to find the receipt/workorder in my glove box and read what they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back