valvoline vr1in a harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is fine for your harley.I have been using this in my 09 fat boy with no issues.Oil changes every 3000 mi.The winters are short and summers are hot,humid and long.This is my regimen.I use valvoline everywhere except primary there I use harley primary and transmision.winter months vr1 20w50 oil,75-90 trans.Spring vr1 straight 50wt oil,75-90 trans. Summer vr1 straight 60wt oil, 80-140 trans.Fall vr1 straight 50wt oil,75-90 trans.Oil filter bosch 3330 car filter.Trans,primary change intervals are 5000 mi.Absolutley no metal shavings of any kind on any of the magnetic plugs.This is my second harley and Ive used both syn.and the motorcycle specific oils.At these intervals this combo provides excellant protection and wont break the bank

I traded in on the new one.Looks like you dont like vavoline or you take issue with what I said.Its what I have found that works well and is cost effective.If Im wrong in reading your reply then I appologize.

It is probably a good oil for a non shared sump. I belive seom people here use it in thier bikes with a shared sump, however this is copied from the Valvoline data sheet:
"Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches(use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil)."

Well here's a news flash!!! Any 20/50 wt oil that has a API rating of SG or newer, will work just fine in any air cooled Harley. Stock Harley's aren't race bikes, so to use an oil designed to be used hard for short periods of time, doesn't make sense. Just about every oil made has been used in Harley's and seems to work. Guys even put automatic trans oil in their primary's. Harley's really aren't that hard on oil, so if you read here about whats being used and proven to work good, you might change your opinion.,

Here are a couple of UOA's using VR1 (with one using 1/3 Valvoline SynPower 20W50.

These are without a doubt the best UOA's on the board for Harley engines... they beat the group IV and V oils, and all of the boutique ooo-ahh oils that folks tend to like to use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post722421

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1214567

Yes, Valvoline VR1 works really well in HD air cooled engines. Don't pay any attention to Valvoline's "wet clutch" warning about the VR1. They just want you to pay extra for the motorcycle on the label oil they also sell, which seems to be that EXACT same formula as VR1, based on MSDS and VOA's and UOA's...

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
Don't pay any attention to Valvoline's "wet clutch" warning about the VR1. They just want you to pay extra for the motorcycle on the label oil they also sell, which seems to be that EXACT same formula as VR1, based on MSDS and VOA's and UOA's...

Dan

Which I think is the case with 99% of the "motorcycle" oils out there.

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
Here are a couple of UOA's using VR1 (with one using 1/3 Valvoline SynPower 20W50.

These are without a doubt the best UOA's on the board for Harley engines... they beat the group IV and V oils, and all of the boutique ooo-ahh oils that folks tend to like to use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post722421

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1214567

Yes, Valvoline VR1 works really well in HD air cooled engines. Don't pay any attention to Valvoline's "wet clutch" warning about the VR1. They just want you to pay extra for the motorcycle on the label oil they also sell, which seems to be that EXACT same formula as VR1, based on MSDS and VOA's and UOA's...

Dan

So what are you currently running? This VR1 20W-50 is $4.29 a quart at all of the local auto parts stores. The Genuine Harley HD360 just went to $9 a quart in these parts and the Formula+ around $8.

I recently used the VR1 in two Sportsters - even in the transmissions (shared with the primary chaincase) and they sure shift nice.

So... I have a Dyna and a Fat Boy ready for an oil change.......

I do that because it says in the owners manual temps above 70 use 50 wt and temps above 80 use 60 wt.But it does say you can use 20-50 year round.I just figure with am temps at 75 +, day temps 95 + for the next 4 mos. That there is no need for a multi grade.

as i've said before, the 2 tests i've done on VR1 sae50 still hold my top 2 spots for uoa susvis.

shifting was great the entire time.

you could always mix a 1:1 vr1 20w50 and sae50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back