Help adding/changing floor jack oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched this site and other places, but cannot find any information on which hole to use to add or change oil in a floor jack. Here are the pics:

Floor jack images

It is around 7ish years old, never added or changed fluid. You can see the old oil is very dirty so it was due. I can see 2 ports:
1) the release valve screw
2) the screw which had the "Don't adjust" label

I didn't touch the release valve, so I was left to try the other one (2) which had the do not adjust cap.

I managed to drain the old oil, but adding new oil seemed to be very slow and difficult. More oil ended up overflowing and spilling out then went into the cylinder. Now it works except doesn't go very high, so probably needs more oil.

Can someone point out what opening is used to add oil????? What is the best method to add new oil?

thanks

I have the same jack. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I filled it up with fluid and it works like new again.

There is a foam plug that you pull out.(circled in the picture)
Fill the oil in there and put the plug back in.

jack.jpg

I've NEVER changed the oil in any of my floor jacks. They work fine over the decades.

I don't think the fluid is that bad. Can't really tell the condition of the oil by looking at it anyway... (unless it turns to grease)

Looking at the photos, I'd say its the black on at a 45 degree angle right above the pumping piston.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've NEVER changed the oil in any of my floor jacks. They work fine over the decades.

I don't think the fluid is that bad. Can't really tell the condition of the oil by looking at it anyway... (unless it turns to grease)

Looking at the photos, I'd say its the black on at a 45 degree angle right above the pumping piston.

Bill

I would guess that it wasn't the condition of the oil that caused it to stop working. It was the lack of oil due to a leak.

That was the case with mine.

Last edited:
Wow, that is it :):):)

I am surprised it is just a foam/rubber plug. I expected something more solid, like a bolt.

Mine still worked. I was in my oil change mode and it was neglected and dirty, so decided to treat it with a new oil.

Thanks, got it.

Well I am used to seeing my motor oil turn black, change color. In this case I can see sediment settling at the bottom of the container, tiny specs of dirt everywhere. It is dirty.

Now I supposed it could have kept going for who knows how long. Still putting in new clean oil cannot hurt.

I now have a bigger more expensive model. I wanted to try changing oil on older/smaller one so that I don't ruin the new more expensive one when the time comes.

Thanks everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back