31 month, 331 hour UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA from our Hagie 284 self-propelled sprayer. It has a naturally-aspirated Cummins 5.9L engine. It had 2760 hours at time of UOA with 331 hours and 31 months on the oil. Check my math but the last oil change was November of 2007. Oil was Texaco Ursa Super Plus 15w-40. We do not accumulate a lot of hours in a year hence the long duration. If I don't list an element it's a zero.

Fe 12
Chrom 1
Al 3
Cu 4
Sili 9
Sod 2
Moly 76
Bor 262
Mag 428
Cal 1776
Phos 1137
Zn 1289

Fuel Soot Vis 100C Cs 13.7
TBN 6.5
Oxid 11
Nitr 13

Engine is run at rated rpm often but does not see a lot of load as it runs the mixers for the sprayer tanks and a hydraulic pump for the hydrostatic drive. I upgraded the filter from an LF3552 to an LF9028. Thinking of increasing the duration to 500-600 hours till the next oil change.

Nice, I see no reason to change it at this rate until at least 500 hours. TBN is good, plenty of additives left, low insolubles & wear metals. Perhaps check the air filter seal? There's a bit more silicon & sodium than I like to see, but this may also be due to the add pack.

Nice report, furthering the notion that the time element isn't the most important OCI element. Look at at that low soot number! And the low ox & nit numbers. I wouldn't change it.

Excellent report! I agree that you can extend the drain interval; however, I like to pull a UOA sample at least every season to monitor things (mainly to check for coolant & dirt).

Hi,
sdan27 - Good report. It is wise to get a TAN number in these instances

A good lubricant to use is one that has a Vapour Phase Inhibitor - this inhibitor minimises corrosion above the oil line

Last edited:
Again, another perfect example of why "or every year" OCIs are complete bunk.

Great report, nice wear. Easily can go another year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back