Had a nasty road bike crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday morning, I was out for an early morning road ride. Approx. 2 miles from my home, as I was descending a small hill at 22 mph, I was yanked off my bike by the throat by a partially downed telephone line. A tree had fallen on the line and pulled it into partially the road. I went down hard, with cuts, scrapes, bruises, and a broken toe. Also ripped the cleat base completely off my left shoe. I honestly thought I was going to be decapitated. With adrenaline still pumping, I got back on my bike and rode home. I went to the doctor immediately, then to hospital for X-Rays, which (except for toe) were all negative thankfully. Also got an anti-inflammatory shot, a steroid shot, and a tetanus shot. FUN!

The thing that stinks is that I am a very safe rider, and got taken down by something impossible to prepare for. Anyway, I'm just glad that I wasn't hurt more seriously. Considering legal action for real damages plus pain and suffering. I seriously thought I was going to die.

Yikes! My wife does a lot of road biking and it scares me. The flimsiness of a road bike makes me worried too (e.g. Lack of stability/robustness if someone needs to jump a curb or ride into a ditch).

None of that would have helped you - so I'm just glad you're OK. This is really a reminder of how dangerous biking can be, having a mass connected to your feet withoutgreat balance from outside forces or protection from outside intrusions to your space.

A couple of pictures of the damage. My throat looks worse than the picture shows:

DSCF2428.jpg

Leg, meet chainrings:
DSCF2427.jpg

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Glad you're OK Wayne! Was it someone's negligence that the line was down?

I'm not sure if anyone was negligent. Time will tell.

probably the line had a bit of elasticity to it, which saved you. i've had some incredible crashes on my bike, with no serious injuries, and you tube also shows some really terrible looking crashes. usually you die if hit by an automobile or truck. bikes are actually very stable and safe machines.

I would have filed a police report to get something on paper, if not for your benefit, but for the benefit of others.

Events like these may seem to be random, but once in a while they become part of a larger picture.

Glad you are ok.

Last edited:
Yikes, glad you're relatively okay.

I don't do much street riding except in the neighborhood. I mostly ride on trails, and I've hit the occasional unexpected large tree root or rut, but I've never had a major crash. With bikes, riding on a road is probably the most dangerous thing to do. Trails can bruise you up, but I think roads can do more damage.

The main lesson I have learned with non-cab vehicles (bikes, scooters, four wheelers, etc.) is jump off if you can. It hurts too, but hitting stuff while still on the vehicle is usually worse.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Will these injuries lead to a possible lawsuit ?

I've decided not to sue anyone over this. Had my real damages been greater, then maybe.

I got back on the bike this morning, and did a 30 mile ride with a 3 mile mountain climb. Other than my nasty-looking neck, the rest of my body feels fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back