What is best for leather these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first paragraph has a totally different tone than the rest.

I would also like to know how the question was raised.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I sent an e-mail to Leatherique company and got this response back:

All colored leather is surface coated. Since 1990 it has been a water based coating. The finish is water resistant, NOT WATER PROOF!!!! The Rejuvenator will easily penetrate the finish as will rain water, coffee, or anything else you spill on the surface and leave. The Rejuvenator is a natural water based protein collagen complex that will keep the actual hide, the backbone of the leather luxuriously supple and healthy. If you don’t do anything to keep the hide nourished, it will become dry, and the spongy fibers will pull apart creating cracks.

Interesting . . makes sense. When I clean the seats with Lexol Cleaner (water-based), I can feel the leather relax, so the 'plastic' or 'vinyl' top coat is permeable.

However, when I used Lexol Preservative (oil-based), it seemed to just dry on the surface. When I went to buff the seats after it dried, there were brown stains on my white towel. And my seats continued to crack. Obviously, it wasn't soaking in.

Since my earlier post, I've tried 303 and found it works great. The seat covers actually feel supple after using it. I also used the Megeuirs marine product I mentioned; same effect. Both are water-based, though the Meguirs has something else in it. It leaves a nice leathery-smell too.

I'll check out the leatherique stuff.

I used 303 on the seats in my Jeep and they look and feel fantastic. I don't think I need to try anything else since it worked so well.

Used LEATHERIQUE and VERNAX for years, on leather/vinyl and wood, respectively. I like them both, although, now I see that VERNAX is available at box stores I have to wonder at quality.

LEATHERIQUE is well beyond what OTC products are available, IMO. You have to buy enough to experiment to see what works well. I started with a near 50-yr old dried out saddle. LEATHERIQUE did wonders. I've done every other bit of leather around the house -- and in the cars -- and there is no comparison. Park the car in the sun for a weekend to heat up that interior. Or, artificially heat interior.

VERNAX is fine on leather, especially when used on fine furniture (desk top inserts, etc) as it protects and works well with original waxed leather surfaces. On highly polished wood be sure to clean carefully, use a bright light, and keep going over it to your satisfaction. The first time is a PITA, but from there on it's easy (twice yearly is a minimum best in an HVAC-controlled environment).

My mother started using it more than 50-years ago. In the '60's she noted that a neighbor had the exact same dining room table as she, but you would have never known it due to the depth of shine on hers. No comparison. Both tables were pre-war.

Dedicate some cotton toweling and microfiber to each. Use for nothing else.

303, LEXOL and the rest are about good enough for a car you are selling.

Last edited:
I have been using Zymol Treat conditioner in my Toyota Sequoia. Very pleased with the results. I park it in the sun for an hour or so to warm up the leather and apply liberally by hand. Allow 10 or so minutes to penetrate and buff. The warming of the leather opens the pores and facilitates better penetration. It has a nice "banana" smell too. My other choice would be Connolly Hide Care. I bought a jar but am still waiting to try it out. Both are expensive but they come highly recommended by a couple of good pro detailers. I think there are a lot of very good leather care products out there now and as long as you avoid silicones, most work pretty well. JMHO

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
[/quote]However, when I used Lexol Preservative (oil-based), it seemed to just dry on the surface. When I went to buff the seats after it dried, there were brown stains on my white towel. And my seats continued to crack. Obviously, it wasn't soaking in.

I tried Lexol awhile back and it was the worst stuff I`ve ever used. It turned my seats white and "chaulky" looking and gave them that dry feeling like when you use a really harsh soap on your hands. I emailed Lexol about it and they promised me a full refund,and of course said refund never showed up. I just took it back to Autozone w/reciept,told them what it did,and they refunded me with no hassle whatsoever.

I went back to my old trusty Armor All leather care and my seats are showroom new again. That Lexol stuff was awefull!

Zaino makes good leather products but they can only do so much. Don't expect them to make cardboard stiff leather extremely soft.

[/quote]I tried Lexol awhile back and it was the worst stuff I`ve ever used. It turned my seats white and "chaulky" looking and gave them that dry feeling like when you use a really harsh soap on your hands. I emailed Lexol about it and they promised me a full refund,and of course said refund never showed up. I just took it back to Autozone w/reciept,told them what it did,and they refunded me with no hassle whatsoever.[/quote]

Lexol works great on my Timberline leather shoes & boots. However they are not coated leather, like my car seats. I'm amazed it took me this long to notice this. . . too much going on these days!

If you're still looking for a leather care product to try that works, this small company out of Wyo makes the best conditioner that I have found, Skidmore's. Found it in a saddle shop here in town. Called the 800 number and talked to the owner who mixes every batch made. Nice guy that seems to know his stuff about leather.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
If you're still looking for a leather care product to try that works, this small company out of Wyo makes the best conditioner that I have found, Skidmore's. Found it in a saddle shop here in town. Called the 800 number and talked to the owner who mixes every batch made. Nice guy that seems to know his stuff about leather.

Thanks for the above replies. Remember, the seats in my Volvo V70 are coated leather, not uncoated like a saddle, or my Timberline boat shoes. Two very different surfaces.

So far, the driver seat has remained supple with regular applications of the different products I mentioned in my above post. So the different product is making a difference.

However, the worn out seat & back covers are going to have to be removed and redone. Not too pleased with Volvo on this one.

I like PoorBoys Leather Stuff for routine cleanings every other month, and Leather Master for deep cleanings once or twice a month.

PoorBoys Leather Stuff has the added benefit of a nice leather smell.

Originally Posted By: timish
Leatherique

It's the best.

www.leatherique.com

Been using it for years.

Does Leatherique work on Pleather, or Vinyl Leather? (I have this Pleather. It is NOT Real.)

Or should i just get some Armor-All and Meguiar's protectant/Restoration Moisturizer stff for Leather from Walmart?

I dont even shop at parts stores, WalMart has most of what i need. Cheaper too
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back