Industrial generator with 1 hour on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past year. The generator is inside of a heated building and has a block heater on it 24/7. I know it should have been run on load over the past year but that is past history. question is would you change the oil even though it has only one hour on it? By the way when it runs it supply's 480 volt to a 100hp motor.

A used oil analysis costs around $30.00 to have done and would tell how the oils condition. What does the manufacture recommend?

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
In the past year. The generator is inside of a heated building and has a block heater on it 24/7. I know it should have been run on load over the past year but that is past history. question is would you change the oil even though it has only one hour on it? By the way when it runs it supply's 480 volt to a 100hp motor.

no

If it only has 1hr on the current fill a uoa will say keep in service. i wouldn't change or sample the oil. it has no use on it.
i would be more concerned about not running it time to time. if it were mine i would run it up to temp under load every 3 to 6 months.

ken

Old Thread, i'm in power generation field service, I see this on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with taking fluid samples and inspecting the generator and transfer switch(s) for proper operation.

CAT put out the option to offer 3 year oil change cycle on CAT diesels C9 and larger in Standby Power application. Can do this by taking quarterly samples and annual filter replacement, still maintain CAT warranty or ESC.

I can tell you a very large telecom company mandates oil changes are to be performed every 3 years or per sample analysis on standby generators.

Still you have issues with engines sitting, injector cups leaking coolant, oil cooler leaking, head gasket or fuel dilution. Just changing the engine oil won't correct these issues and only mask them over for a short period.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back