sawed off 12 gauge with a pistol grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only ever wanted two firearms in my life and I have one of them now (P95), but the other is a sawed off, pump action 12 gauge with a pistol grip.

Are these legal and/or sold commonly? This doesn't seem like a project I would to do myself?

Can you find a NEW one (ie, does any manufacturer make it) like this, or does it have to be altered by someone?

The shortest shotgun you can buy, I think, is a reproduction coach gun like they used on stagecoaches in the Old West. You can buy these and they are used by cowboy action shooters. Taurus gets away with the Judge (revolver that shoots shotgun shells) as the barrel is rifled and can also handle .45 Long Colt cartridges.

I don't know if you could modify a coach gun or not but you DON"T want to get caught owning an illegal sawed off shotgun.

Pistol grip shot guns are fairly common, but only in barrel lengths long enough to meet minimum 26" overall length..
If you want it shorter than that, you are in NFA territory. Im not exactly sure what needs done there. Best I can tell, if it was originally manufactured as a short barrel shotgun, its an AOW and the transfer tax is $5. If you convert an existing weapon to short barrel, its a SBS and requires a $200 stamp.
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Pistol grips are common and easily attached to common pump guns like 870's, 1300's, and the various Mossburgs. While you can "saw-off" your own barrel, you must keep >16 inches or be in violation of the NFA. Keep in mind, a sawed-off barrel with have no constriction and will be useless past really close range (but thats what short barreled shotguns are for :))

Originally Posted By: ZJohnson
Pistol grips are common and easily attached to common pump guns like 870's, 1300's, and the various Mossburgs. While you can "saw-off" your own barrel, you must keep >16 inches or be in violation of the NFA. Keep in mind, a sawed-off barrel with have no constriction and will be useless past really close range (but thats what short barreled shotguns are for :))

For shotguns it is 18" minimum, it is rifles that are 16" minimum.

Just buy yourself a Serbu Super Shorty. Keep it legal.

BTW, prepare to pay for physical therapy every time you fire it.

A gun magazine writer made a sawed-off double barrel, like what the road warrior had. He said it was painful to shoot even with lo-brass birdshot. 18" barrel with a pistol grip is as low as I will go. That said, they are alot of fun.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Why are sound suppressors restricted as well? Some idiot somewhere at some point in time thought they had a clue.
Bayonets on guns were restricted at one time, it's dummies writing these laws.

Last edited:
sawed off shotguns are illegal because they are easier to conceal. (hide under a jacket) now, a shorty with pistol grips? yeah, expect some pain when firing!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I've only ever wanted two firearms in my life and I have one of them now (P95), but the other is a sawed off, pump action 12 gauge with a pistol grip.

Are these legal and/or sold commonly? This doesn't seem like a project I would to do myself?

Can you find a NEW one (ie, does any manufacturer make it) like this, or does it have to be altered by someone?
Go to a gun shop and look at their short barrel shotguns as those will be legal to own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
The shortest shotgun you can buy, I think, is a reproduction coach gun like they used on stagecoaches in the Old West. You can buy these and they are used by cowboy action shooters. Taurus gets away with the Judge (revolver that shoots shotgun shells) as the barrel is rifled and can also handle .45 Long Colt cartridges.

I don't know if you could modify a coach gun or not but you DON"T want to get caught owning an illegal sawed off shotgun.

A 12 gauge Taurus "Judge" would be cool .... certainly wouldn't be a comfortable carry.

Originally Posted By: Jeff3126
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Why are sound suppressors restricted as well? Some idiot somewhere at some point in time thought they had a clue.
Bayonets on guns were restricted at one time, it's dummies writing these laws.

Had to stop the rash of drive by bayonetings!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
sawed off shotguns are illegal because they are easier to conceal. (hide under a jacket) now, a shorty with pistol grips? yeah, expect some pain when firing!

Even easier to conceal is a pistol, yet those are legal.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
why is a sawn off shotgun illegal?

Why is a bullet proof vest, or a wrist rocket slingshot a prohibited weapon for you and I ?

(The vest being classed as a prohibited weapon makes me laugh all the time).

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

My dad always wanted a sawed off pistol pump also, for home protection. I bought a second hand 12ga pump at a Cabelas store for $90. Measured twice and cut once. I sanded then sprayed the outside with truck bed coating.

Luckily he's never had to use it. I took it out to fire #8's once, puts a big grin on my face. Overall a fun and cheap project.

Thanks for clueing me in on some stuff. IT sure is pitiful that a vest is illegal.

I guess anything that gives you an edge or makes you equal to LEO's is outright banned. Because, I guess, if they need to take you down then it should be easy/ier.

I've owned a Remington 870 at one point and foolishly sold it. A friend of mine had a double barrel short 12 gauge with a pistol grip. While it wasn't so bad firing just one, but when both triggers were pulled simultaneously, it took a nice chunk of skin off our fingers.

18" seem plenty short to me if I can find one since I'm no carpenter or experimentalist. I had thought shorter would be illegal for safety reason (like too much spread). Seems foolish to ban it on concealed carry rules since: 1. Pistols are okay 2. The pellets would probably just bounce off of you at anything but point blank, but I haven't tested that part.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: crinkles
why is a sawn off shotgun illegal?

Why is a bullet proof vest, or a wrist rocket slingshot a prohibited weapon for you and I ?

(The vest being classed as a prohibited weapon makes me laugh all the time).
Since when is a bullet proof vest vest illegal? I can buy them at any gunshop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back