2005 Suburban Front AC Blower Stopped: The Fix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Suburban with automatic climate control and front/rear AC's. The rear AC worked but the front blower stopped. The dash control worked but the blower would not come on.

The passenger side footwell black plastic shroud was removed with a 7mm socket. I then tested the AC Blower Power Module. it was receiving power but was not outputing the ground to the blower. It can be removed with a 5.5 mm socket. The heat sink is actually mounted into the intake duct to help cool it.

If it was working correctly the heat sink becomes very hot. When broken it does not turn warm at all.

I replaced it with a OEM AC Delco unit for $70. works like a champ now.

If you hae a similar problem with the blower, check out the Blower Power Module.

Last edited:
Hey Islandvic,

I've got a 2003 Vibe and I've had major blower motor problems. A year after we got it in 2005 the blower started making noise (bad bearings presumably). It was replaced with an OEM. A year later, same thing. I replaced it with a lifetime warranty Factory Air unit from AAP. Three months later, same thing. I replaced it once, and have since said "forget it" since it still blows, just is a little chirpy.

Any suggestions on what I should try for this? I don't know if it is a voltage issue or what...

Originally Posted By: Islandvic

If you hae a similar problem with the blower, check out the Blower Power Module.

I fixed one of those by resoldering the broken solder joint on the power transistor.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Islandvic

I fixed one of those by resoldering the broken solder joint on the power transistor.

This is my favorite kind of fix. I always see if I can fix the actual part that is broken before replacing the whole system/module on account of a bad solder, resistor/capacitor etc. Good work!

For anyone else, the blower resistor pack or it's connector on the blower fan housing are #1 for interior fan failures.
Easy and pretty cheap fix, so check it out before going to a repair shop.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For anyone else, the blower resistor pack or it's connector on the blower fan housing are #1 for interior fan failures.
Easy and pretty cheap fix, so check it out before going to a repair shop.

Could that part being bad be causing the bearings to go bad all the time on my blower motors?

I don't know a ton about that. But if so I'll try getting one this weekend, warranty out the blower motor again, and install both parts and hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back