Super Tech 5w-30 Synthetic 4,700 mi '96 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this 5w-30 Super Tech Synthetic oil was good enough, but it seems low on Zinc, Phos, Moly, Boron. This sample was taken at an oil change, and I refilled with Pen Ultra 10w-30 and I plan to run it for 6,000. I drive the truck mildy and it rarely sees north of 3,000rpm.

OilReportTacomaJPEG.jpg

Agreed it does look low on additives.... then again the Iron and other wear metals look low too so I guess it's working. Little low on the visc for having almost no fuel dillution, so I probably wouldn't shoot for 10,000 miles on this stuff.

Thanks for sharing - it's a good run for a cheap synthetic.

Blended very similar to Ashland/Napa oils - no moly, sodium as a detergent.

Seems low but remember if the engine gets all the protection it needs with lets say 1,000 ppm of additive an oil with 2,000 ppm of additive won't make a differencs as it will not be needed. That said, I am the type that if 1,000 is good 2,000 has to be better. I would pick an oil with higher adds if I was going to extend my oil change intervals .

Looks good, another positive UOA for Super Tech. The additives provide ample enough protection for a 5k OCI or slightly more(no TBN shown). I'd keep using it without thinking twice.

The additive package is somewhat similar to the Pennzoil Platinum or Quakerstate Ultimate Durability but has a weaker additive package with less additives such as Moly, Boron, Zinc, and Phosp. that shoulld not be pushed past 5K-6K miles on the OCI. This the information I recieved from Speciality Oil Company, a former subsidary of SOPUS in Houston Texas. All Superetech products sold in Texas are made by Speciality Oil Company.

Tin is interesting, but the rest of the wear looks low. High flashpoint. Looks like a good oil, even with the slightly low additives.

Looks "good", that's about it. Low additives is concerning, especially Calcium. I won't be using that oil.

Thanks for running the report - I appreciate the data.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Excellent report. ST Synthetic is a great sleeper oil that doesn't get enough attention.

Too bad the only attention it gets is the never ending question of who makes it. I use it often and it has performed very well in all my cars.

I have been using SuperTecc syn in multiple vehicles for years now.. Have run one out to 10K miles. I am more than pleased. I would call Blackstone and ask them about the Tin. Its possible they copied the wrong number down from the actual hand written numbers.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Agreed it does look low on additives.... then again the Iron and other wear metals look low too so I guess it's working. Little low on the visc for having almost no fuel dillution, so I probably wouldn't shoot for 10,000 miles on this stuff.

I agree! And to add, that this is exactly the UOA's that members are looking for in reguards to ST Syn and Dino. Thank You!

Glad to see Super Tech got a good rating. It got a good rating on other sites and no engine failures on those write ups. If it was a bad oil, then why is it still being used by 1000 of customers nation wide.

Thanks for the posts on Walmart Super Tech Synthetic. I plan on trying out the Super Tech Synthetic 5W-30 on my next OCI. I will be adding 5 ounces of Tuf Oil which should add to any deficent Moly and other additives. Thanks for sharing your report.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Thanks for the posts on Walmart Super Tech Synthetic. I plan on trying out the Super Tech Synthetic 5W-30 on my next OCI. I will be adding 5 ounces of Tuf Oil which should add to any deficent Moly and other additives. Thanks for sharing your report.

Most people would tell you to stay away for products like TufOil(snakeoil). IDK myself but, I don't use them either. Too expensive!

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Guys its Blackstone. It would not be the first time they showed low additive levels....

Also, it's Supertech... it wouldn't be the first time it has shown low additives, either. It still worked well in this application, though.

ST was good for 5000 mi. and that is about where I drain any brand or type of oil.My truck's engine is worn and I can't afford a new engine or F-150.A worn engine throws much more soot into the oil than a healthy engine .The oil gets thick and requires a drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back