VR1 syn or conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clueless, I do not think so. F U...

I also do not trust every Blackstone report that is posted here. Actually it looks like your engine is holding up well with whatever oil was used for this report and the TBN held up well.

If the oil sucks, why do you keep using it? Like I said, I know a few guys that use it and it works great for them.

I don't use it (never said I did) that was another racers test data.
I used XPR and now Schaeffer's.

BTW F U your still clueless

re/ the content of VR-1....
Prove me wrong.
After dising Blackstone test data show us your data... yea I though so....

All I know is that VR1 is a good motor oil and many collectors that I know use it on a regular basis. I use it in a few cars but I do not use it in my race cars.

Schaeffers is a great company and I do use some of their products. What do you use the XPR in? Is that Redline?

Other reports of VR1 show much higher levels of zinc/phos then the report you showed. You can look it up and do a search because I do not have the time to do it.

Many others on this forum also do not trust every Blackstone report that has been posted. Now if numerous tests showed lower levels, then I would think Valvoline could be sued. I highly doubt that they would intentionally misquote levels of additives on their website.

Can a bad batch of VR1 ever come out? Who knows but I doubt it,
but I guess anything can happen.

Have a good evening...

Last edited:
dang!!!

your 03/23/07 data matches mine. 1173 zinc 1034 phos, 2053 calc.
what leaded fuel were you running?

and our applications could not be farther apart.

It was another racer. I have no idea. I coupled ask if it's important.
It was way more then that for P and Z when I ran it. The trend is very clear.

The big auto stores are blowing VR-1 out now and 1/2 price. Sadly many racers are about to run a watered down version that will lead to engine damage.

quick 16, do you have any other reports showing low levels of additives in VR1 and also the Valvoline syn racing oil?

If so, I would really like to see them. If Valvoline truly lowered the levels to below 1200ppm-1400ppm zinc/phos, then I would not use VR1. I usually only use this oil in classic/muscle cars and they do not get raced.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just copied this from another current link on this forum...

Originally Posted By: glen242
Originally Posted By: glen242
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Take a look at the VOA section, you'll find the VR-1 dosent have as much zinc as you think it does.Redline,Motul,or even Mobil 1 15w50( good stuff)are all very good performers.

Can you link me to the VOA that shows VR-1 does not have as much ZDDP as I (and Valvoline) think it does?

I searched the VOA section and could not find any info.

Thanks,

Found this:

Re: Valvoline VR1 20W/50 [Re: KA426]
Veno

Loc: Houston valvoline has all the ZDDP that is advertised... BlackStone labs have been remiss reporting due to calibration errors. that they acknowledged over @ team chevelle... THEY GOOFED... this was done in 2008... I have had Valvoline VR1 30weight and Valvoline 20W50 tested by two different labs.. the samples were taken from the same bottle and sent to Polaris labs http://www.polarislabs1.com/oil-analysis.htm and to analysts inc http://www.analystsinc.com/index.html...

the results were with in 10% of each other.. Zinc was well over 1400ppm and phosphorus was 1300ppm...

Valvoline is everything they say it is and I use it...

I run a very aggressive Solid FT cam with 180 lbs on the seat and 350 over the nose....

I did a breaking with delo400 and have ran a steady diet of VR1 straight 30weight....

veno

I never trusted Blackstone and never will! If I did not trust Valvoline's numbers, I would not use it.

I saw a post(s), don't know where, that Valvoline took Blackstone to task and they admitted they did not have their test equipment properly calibrated.

Show me substandard ZDDP numbers, from a different lab(s), and I may change my mind. But Blackstone - baa.

Valvoline has plenty of Zinc/Phos and like I said others have their doubts about Blackstone.

Last edited:
I have the one when I tested it ,but it sounds like you are going to use it no matter what the test data says.

I'd still like to see you or anyone back up the claim that Blackstone test results are not accurate. Show the test data from same sample.

Show me one lab report with of VR-1 from 2009 forward sample that has +1200ppm P and Z....

Last edited:
Ok guys. In defense of Boss 302, he is not clueless. I take these these reports, not just blackstones, with a grain of salt. This debate on labs and Valvoline VR1 have been going on for a while even prior to 2009. I know that Veno on the Team Nova has lab results showing 1400 of zinc and the guys at team chevelle have reports showing high zinc/phos levels. I think that VR1 is a stout oil that is affordable and available. The dirt track racers around here swear by it. I've also used VR1 20w50(loose clearances and Texas heat) in my 69 Firebird 400. We are all here to learn and have fun and should not put people down with statements like that.

Last edited:
Another thing with the Blackstone Report. ZDDP is a heat activated sacrificial element that is in your oil used when there is extreme pressure or metal to metal contact. It may have a lower zddp level because some of it has been "sacrificed" during hard use.

Would you guys post it if it goes 50% off again? If this went on the "Sales" Forum, it would have been a mad rush. I got some 20w-50 R anyway, gonna mix it down w/regular SynPower 10w-30.

What's the visc of the 10w-30 R anyway? If it's 12cSt with HT/HS of 3.5cP it's my new oil for life.

I looked at the product line, kind of interesting.

Three types of race oils, VR-1 the 10w-30 was SH(!) spec and 11.5cSt, Not Street Legal was unrated API and Synth Racing that did not have complete PDS, no API on the website, but I think my bottles have SL on them.

AutoZone was cleaned out of VR-1 synth. I went to grab an extra today and I left only 2 10w-30s on the shelf, after them being fully stocked last week.

I asked the mgr if they were going to have another special and got a curt "I dunno".

Well,I went by Napa (the had two cases left in the back) and bought a case of 20W50. It was around $60 (after tax) so considering the rebate it will only cost me eight cents a quart :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back