Cruise control not engaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my brake light switch replaced recently, and now my CC doesn't seem to work. It goes on and lights up when I press the button on the wheel, but when i'm moving it won't engage it. Can this be related to the brake light switch? Thanks.

disconnect the neg cable on ur battery and see if it resets thru the computer, I really dont know the answer, but when my dodge stuff acts up , I do that first, sometimes it works.n Leave the cable off for 10 minutes too.

Brake switch is the most common issue for cruise control problems given that no electrical switch in the car likely gets as many cycles as this switch.

There are usually two circuits on a brake switch and both of them need to be functioning properly for the cruise to work. Just because your brake lights are functioning, doesn't mean the switch is working properly. I had this same issue on my Chev K1500 a few years ago.

I strongly suspect your brake switch especially since it was recently changed. I'd start by checking if all the wires are connected. There should be at least 4 wires attached.

Definitely connected.
When you touch your brakes with cruise on, it will disengage. There is something going on there.

Also, I had the problem on my old Altima where the clutch pedal switch was causing engagement problems of the cruise.

My car is an ATX, so no clutch. The only thing is the on/off button comes on. It's when i'm moving, it won't engage.
I went back to where I had it installed, and the guy said since it comes on, it must be something else, not the switch.

I am assuming this is the Cadillac? If it's the Caddy, your BCM will be the culprit. The BCM is bain on most 2000+ GM vehicles. I had lost Cruise Control at some point in my Impala amongst other things and finally replaced the BCM and blam that and everything else that stopped working is now working.

If its the Mazda, I'll leave it to the others.

If you're talking about your Mazda 6, then the On/Off button is just for arming/disarming the cruise control, and is not dependant on the brake, so your mechanic is wrong and this may be related to the brake light switch.

My Mazda 3 has two light indicators for cruise control, your 6 should be the same, one is called "Cruise Main" and is activated by the On/Off switch, it will remain on, no matter if the cruise is actually engaged or not, pressing the brake pedal will not turn this light off either. Then there is the "Cruise" light that comes on only if the cruise is actually engaged and will shut off if the cancel button or brake pedal is pressed.

If “Cruise” light never comes on when trying to engage cruise, then the brake switch is likely the cause, especially if cruise was functioning properly prior to switch replacement. Also I think your mechanic is just being lazy, because the first rule of troubleshooting is to check the last thing you changed that might be related to the problem, and the brake light switch is directly linked to cruise control operation, instead of dismissing it out right.

Last edited:
Had a Chevy truck once that did this.
The brake switch needed adjustment. Problem fixed.

As the brakes wear, the pedal hung a bit lower, just enough to trip the switch.
Try adjusting the switch for better contact.

Thanks for all the responses. This problem is obviously happening on my Mazda. If it was the Caddy, I would of been covered under warranty.
I do have the same setup as KrisZ's Mazda3 where there's 2 buttons for the CC, and the main one just turns in on. I'm going back to the [censored] shop tomorrow to have him look at it. Hopefully this Putz will not try to talk his way out of it. It seems to be pointing to a problem with the replaced switch being defective, or
not installed correctly.

I'd just let him know that you can take it to him where he can fix it for free, or you can take it elsewhere and if it is diagnosed as a brake switch installation problem then you'll be presenting him with the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back