Brake pads that have the least amount of dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brake pad compound has the least amount of brake dust? I don't care about the cost, or how long they last I just don't want to deal with the dust.

I have bought BMW OEM pads that have been horrible for dust, and China pads that have had none. (also have had China pads that have bed horrible as well)

Ceramic pads produce the least dust. They also stop well with less fade. The downside is that they wear rotors a bit faster than conventional or semi-metallic pads.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Ceramic pads produce the least dust. They also stop well with less fade. The downside is that they wear rotors a bit faster than conventional or semi-metallic pads.

In my experience, ceramic are much easier on the rotors than semi metallic.
I agree ceramic produce the least dust. It is all I will use now.
Most parts stores even have a store brand ceramic.

Ceramic pads are all over the place for friction vs dust. Akebono Pro ACT is about a stock level of friction, but very little dust in my experience. Also, the dust is light gray (not brown) and washes off easily.

My two cents. You'll want a ceramic, but some are high performance and have more dust.

Last edited:
i just put Napa Adaptive one pads on my car and have put a few thousand miles on and there is very little dust. I beleive they are ceramic

Originally Posted By: tdpark
i just put Napa Adaptive one pads on my car and have put a few thousand miles on and there is very little dust. I beleive they are ceramic
IIRC the outer pads are ceramic for low dust but the inner pads are organic for better bite.

I have Raybestos ceramic pads on my Buick right now and the dust is the least I've ever had. On the negative side, the car has developed a shudder/vibration when stopping after it has been run for awhile. I believe that some pad material has transfered to the rotors causing this.

I see a BMW in your sig.

Axxis/PBR Deluxe Plus are just the ticket for BMWs. Almost exactly the same performance as stock, but no dust.

Try Bavauto.com

Ceramic for sure, at today's technology for the street.

But like bepperb mentioned, they are all over concerning friction.

Getting premium ones in anyone's line is your best bet for overall quality.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I see a BMW in your sig.

Axxis/PBR Deluxe Plus are just the ticket for BMWs. Almost exactly the same performance as stock, but no dust.

Try Bavauto.com

I agree, I have PBR Deluxe Plus on the front of '00 E430 and Pagid on the rear, there is no dust on front wheels and some dust on rear wheels after 3-4 weeks without washing the car.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I see a BMW in your sig.

Try Bavauto.com

Thanks, the only pads they have listed for my 91 are: Pagid Red Brake Pads

I expect these are just standard pads, but I will look for ceramic as mentioned. I seem to recall last ceramic pads I had were very prone to brake squeal...

Originally Posted By: cronk
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

In my experience, ceramic are much easier on the rotors than semi metallic.
I agree ceramic produce the least dust. It is all I will use now.
Most parts stores even have a store brand ceramic.

Ceramics are my pad of choice and are more rotor friendly IMHO and according to the mfg's as well unless they're for race duty.

Agreed, not bad for dust but noisy. Both of my cars have the same brake system and all I have found are ceramics for them but they sound like a bus, especially when cold. Maybe application specific though?

Originally Posted By: cp3
Agreed, not bad for dust but noisy. Both of my cars have the same brake system and all I have found are ceramics for them but they sound like a bus, especially when cold. Maybe application specific though?

I would say its your application.
I work at a dealership, we were getting a lot of complaints from customers about brake noise after a brake job. We were using good quality semi metallic pads at the time. We started buying Ceramic pads from the same supplier (Ac Delco for our GM products, mostly Parts Master for off brands) and have had virtually no complaints in the past 2 years.

I guess there could be other variables, if it was a performance oriented ceramic pad, I could see a greater likely hood of noise, harder compounds and higher friction.

Hi all

on my vehicle I got less dust but it ate up the rotors faster
frown.gif

Went back to semimetalic and learned to live with the dust...:)

BTW I wash my ride weekly and the dust isnt that much?...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back