My Chain on Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks a little dirty. I tend to think motor oil does work better than gear oil. I decided to take one of yours advice and try it again, and I seem to like it. Motor oil flies off faster but does seem to keep a cleaner chain.

This is what it looked like with gear oil, before I went back to using motor oil. It looks better than it did with layers of dried aerosol spray lube and road crud on it, but could look better.

Chain2.jpg

I don't think Lowes carries it any more. Ace and True Value should carry it and it's new thicker cousin. You can read more here: Chain lube

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks pretty clean to me. Mine's more dirty despite me trying to clean it with kerosene.

I used Aerosol engine cleaner on mine to cut the crud layers off of it, along with a metal bristle brush. The foamy stuff works pretty good too. Some people may advise against it but I only use it once in a great while and I hose it off real good and let it dry before I apply the lube.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Does it matter what it looks like if it is lubricated properly?

I think it does. If layers of road crud and dried aerosol spray are allowed to pile up on it, I don't think it's very good for the chain and it gives the impression of an unkempt bike, IMHO.

A nylon bristle brush (e.g "The Grunge Brush") would be a lot safer for your chains o-rings. The key is after you've loosened up the crud with a brush a soaked in kerosene, you then have to use a rag to wipe off all the crud.

Originally Posted By: cos
I don't think Lowes carries it any more. Ace and True Value should carry it and it's new thicker cousin. You can read more here: Chain lube

Thanks for the link.

I got my chain-saver at the local Walmart.

I've never understood why a bristle brush is needed. A metal bistle brush is going to be tough on the o-rings.

All I've ever used is kerosine and a paint brush to apply it whilst the bike is on a stand. I then wash it off with a garden hose. The chain comes out looking squeaky clean every time. Give the bike a quick spin in top gear with in on the stand to spin off the water and then apply my kersoine + oil mix. Let it sit over night for the kerosine to evaporate and you have a nice even thin layer of lube that has penetrate evenly under the rollers as well.

The motor oils and gear oils fling off more but the benefit is less abrasive dirt build up.

I found person who reckoned he had tried everything known to man and preferred ATF and motor oil mix and lived with the fling off.

Dry lubes I wonder how good they lubricate at the o-ring mating surface.

Some solvents used as the propellants may be hard on the o-rings. I would check the compatability with NBR before using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back