LF 9691 by Fleetguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear they are wonderful filters, combo style. However, they do not have a bypass valve, which sucks.
I have a 7.3 Ford that is used for hauling/towing, how many miles between filter changes would you trust this filter? 5k, 8k, 10k?

With the Venturi Combo you would take you engine filter service interval and add 5000 miles. At the end of that 5000 miles you would send in an oil sample to the lab, if everything looks good you can add another 5000 miles.

Quote:
they do not have a bypass valve,

There must be an excess pressure bypass valve somewhere in the system. If the only one is intended to be in the filter, then that's what you must use. Otherwise excess pressure will tear the filter apart and scatter bits of filter media as well as the previously trapped dirt throughout the engine. That gets expen$ive. Very expen$ive.

use fleetguard filters with confidence, they're quality is very good. as far as how long, how long are you going on an oc, i know the service interval on the 7.3 is only 5000 mi., and the fleetguard, or for that matter almost every filter will do 5000 mi.

Quote:
i know the service interval on the 7.3 is only 5000 mi.

How could they sell that engine in anything at all that had any commercial worth? The thing would have so much downtime it would be prohibitively costly in lack of productivity.

Cummins had an oddity. The service interval was short for the Rams, but in other chassis it was longer. I believe it got longer after a fashion.

It was effectively a 6month OCI up to 15k miles. The spec was 7500/6months severe or 15k/6months normal. It took my neighbor a bit to see the 6month part as being the real spec. He happened to, at the time, do 30k/year.

Here's the Wix version. It's a combo/bypass filter too. There's a Donaldson Endurance version too.

Part Number: 51792XD
UPC Number: 765809527928
Principal Application: Extended Drain Version of 51792
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow/By-Pass
Media: Wire/Glass
Height: 12.184
Outer Diameter Top: 5.342
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: B2=5
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 gpm
Nominal Micron Rating: 35

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 4.320 3.820 0.345

50% @ 5um is pretty impressive.

All the 7.3's according to WIX take the 51734, which has some dimensional differences. Same thread ..no bypass valve ..length is less, but the gasket size is a bit different ..and I don't see the specific 7.3 mentioned in the 51792XD's application list. I can't tell what size the Cat engines are by the numbers.

Here's the Wix wizbang filter for the 7.3

Part Number: 51734XE
UPC Number: 765809527348
Principal Application: Synthetic Media Version Of 51734
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 8.122
Outer Diameter Top: 4.266
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 4/75=10/30
Burst Pressure-PSI: 200
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.967 3.587 0.340

I do 10k changes on my truck with the LF9691 with dino oil. Get great UOAs too. Even if you used the factory OEM LF3630 that doesn't have a bypass either. There is a bypass valve built into the filter header on the engine. For International applications, the 7.3L T444e has recommended 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Usually after 10k, I notice my truck doesn't run quite as smooth as it used to as the anti-foaming additives get broken down. At least that's what I think is happening, nothing an oil change can't fix.

Quote:
Usually after 10k, I notice my truck doesn't run quite as smooth as it used to as the anti-foaming additives get broken down. At least that's what I think is happening, nothing an oil change can't fix.

That was one of the tidbits that I picked up from Tony, the departed board owner. One guy posted that he couldn't explain why his PS ran rough after about 3000 miles on the oil change. When he changed the oil, it went away.

The oil actuated injectors reinvented HDEO's shortly after that. They had to put more antifoaming agents in them. This was back in 2002 or there 'bouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back