Acura RDX Transfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt I'm using Amsoil, but when either GL-4 and GL-5 are specified in the owner's manual, is there any way to determine what is the best choice amongst the two?

I searched and some opinions were to use a GL-4 but that was for a manual transmission.

Why spec either when they seem to be considerably different?

Because in a transfer case it does not make much difference. Heck, some transfer cases recommend ATF. Not usually any soft metals in a transfer case and it's just a few straight cut gears transferring power from one differential to another.

Thanks Johnny! I better make sure I read the owner's manual correctly because if memory serves me right Honda calls out ATF for the differential.

The AWD RDX does not have a traditional rear differential; the SH-AWD system has electromagnetically controlled wet clutches in the rear transfer case that modulates power between left/right axles. Honda specs their ATF-Z1 for this application and not gear oil.

You should be able to use any ATF that is spec'd for Honda ATF-Z1: OEM, M1, Amsoil SUATF, Castrol IMV, Maxlife ATF, just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
No doubt I'm using Amsoil, but when either GL-4 and GL-5 are specified in the owner's manual, is there any way to determine what is the best choice amongst the two?

I searched and some opinions were to use a GL-4 but that was for a manual transmission.

if you are talking about where the propel shaft goes into the trans (should look like a box with a drain plug on it) then yes it should take a 90w, at least thats what the pilot and ridgeline take,i think the post about the atf was for the rear diff. and i belive those rdx's take the vtm4 like the pilots and ridgelines.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's my wife's car. For some reason that generally means I don't know much about them. I suppose I should pick up a book and read it.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

if you are talking about where the propel shaft goes into the trans (should look like a box with a drain plug on it) then yes it should take a 90w, at least thats what the pilot and ridgeline take,i think the post about the atf was for the rear diff. and i belive those rdx's take the vtm4 like the pilots and ridgelines.

That is wrong. The rear differential takes ATF-Z1 in RDX and RL rear differentials. Pilots, Ridgelines and MDX use VTM-4. CRVs use Dual Pump Fluid.

To answer the original question. I always use 80w-90 GL5 in Honda transfer cases.

Offtopic, so forgive me, but........

....if the vehicle (any vehicle) is "AWD," is there NO transfer case and simply a front and rear diff to deal with?

Forget "SH-AWD" for the moment.

Conversely, if you have the option of selecting 4WD "high" or "low," THEN you would have a transfer case AND front and rear diffs, no?

AWD vehicles generally have the front differential integrated into the transmission case. The middle unit with separate fill and drain plugs is the transfer case, but most times it looks like a differential.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

That is wrong. The rear differential takes ATF-Z1 in RDX and RL rear differentials. Pilots, Ridgelines and MDX use VTM-4. CRVs use Dual Pump Fluid.

To answer the original question. I always use 80w-90 GL5 in Honda transfer cases.

well that's why i said i believe, i'm not real familiar with the rdx, just trying to make sure he double checks before adding any fluids. i've seen people put 80-90w in a rear diff that take vtm4 :s

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Offtopic, so forgive me, but........

....if the vehicle (any vehicle) is "AWD," is there NO transfer case and simply a front and rear diff to deal with?

Forget "SH-AWD" for the moment.

Conversely, if you have the option of selecting 4WD "high" or "low," THEN you would have a transfer case AND front and rear diffs, no?

honda calls it a transfer case, i guess since it is used to transfer power to the rear, but not what most would consider a transfer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back