straight 50 weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm presently using Motormaster 50 weight oil with 20% of Lucas oil treatment on my air cooled 650cc. My question is the manuf,sugguest 20-50. With my present set-up am I close to that 20-50 mark or with the lucas product in it my oil may just be down to a 40 weight.

I really dont know much.....admittly.

If anything, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is making your oil thicker. It won't reduce your oil's viscosity grade, and it certainly won't improve the oil's winter pumpability (which is what the 20W in 20W-50 refers to).

Why not just use what the manufacturer recommends?

It may be time to make your own viscometer. Take a paper cup, make a pinhole in the bottom, fill it with 50 weight and time how long it takes to dribble out. Do the same with Lucas. Then you'll know if Lucas is thickening or thinning your oil.

Lucas oil treatment? Do you mean Lucas oil stabilizer? That stuff is like honey and will only thicken your oil and dilute the additives of other oils.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If anything, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is making your oil thicker. It won't reduce your oil's viscosity grade, and it certainly won't improve the oil's winter pumpability (which is what the 20W in 20W-50 refers to).

Why not just use what the manufacturer recommends?

plus your canadian , its cold up there, no reason to run a straght 50 weight, use a 20w50, its all you need

1--Dump the Lucas.
2--Use a top quality 20W-50 only in the summer heat, or better, use a synthetic 15W-50 for better lubrication before the engine gets warm and the day gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back