Time do to the brakes on the '06 Honda Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD has about 28k miles on it and has developed a shaking in the steering wheel. Seems to me the pads are probably worn down and the rotors have either pad material transfer on them or are warped. The car is driven by my mother who does mostly in town driving. The vehicle is also our long distance cruiser.

According to the Honda Pilot forum, most people are getting any where between 50-60k miles out of their original brake pads.

I believe we only got 28k miles out of the rotors and brakes due to the stop and go driving my mother does on this heavy vehicle.

28k miles is also not much for OEM rotors unless Honda rotors suck. But seeing people are getting over 100k mile son their original brake rotors, something is up here as well.

I can get new OEM Honda pads front and rear from the Honda dealer for about ~$50/ pair.

RockAuto has a pretty good deal on Beck Arnley Semi-Metallic pads for the front and rear for about $60 shipped for both sets.

Question 1) Can I put new pads on and not re-surface the rotors and the brake shutter with the new pads will go away or do I need to buy new rotors since I would not want to re-surface the old ones?

Question 2) Should I go with Honda OEM pads or try Beck Arnley Semi-Metallic's for a better braking performance and perhaps a longer life?

Question 3) Can anyone recommend nice pads (better than Honda OEM) for a heavy SUV that last a while and not squeal?

Question 4) Do you guys know the composition of Honda Pilot OEM pads?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Our 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD has about 28k miles on it and has developed a shaking in the steering wheel. Seems to me the pads are probably worn down and the rotors have either pad material transfer on them or are warped. The car is driven by my mother who does mostly in town driving. The vehicle is also our long distance cruiser.

According to the Honda Pilot forum, most people are getting any where between 50-60k miles out of their original brake pads.

I believe we only got 28k miles out of the rotors and brakes due to the stop and go driving my mother does on this heavy vehicle.

28k miles is also not much for OEM rotors unless Honda rotors suck. But seeing people are getting over 100k mile son their original brake rotors, something is up here as well.

I can get new OEM Honda pads front and rear from the Honda dealer for about ~$50/ pair.

RockAuto has a pretty good deal on Beck Arnley Semi-Metallic pads for the front and rear for about $60 shipped for both sets.

Question 1) Can I put new pads on and not re-surface the rotors and the brake shutter with the new pads will go away or do I need to buy new rotors since I would not want to re-surface the old ones?

Question 2) Should I go with Honda OEM pads or try Beck Arnley Semi-Metallic's for a better braking performance and perhaps a longer life?

Question 3) Can anyone recommend nice pads (better than Honda OEM) for a heavy SUV that last a while and not squeal?

Thanks

1) No, don't do it. The rotors are your shake not the pads.

2.) Wagner Thermo-Quiets are great pads. I have also used Autozone DL Gold (ceramic in my application) and they do great for me. Either way, they are lifetime warranty.

3.) See #2

4.) Ceramic, probally Akebono.

it's the rotors that are the issue here, honda oe pads are really good, i'd stick with them for the price they can't be beat ($60 or so) honda has a warped rotor issue, i'm not sure if it's due to the rotors themselves or due to the brakes being to small for such a large vehicle. but if you want to get away from honda pads beast is on the right track with the thermo quiets they are great pads!

+1 on the Wagner Thermoquiets. I used them on my wife's 03 Acura TL, on my '98 Chev K1500 and on my 04 Chev Avalanche. They were really good pads, good grip and great wear with no squealing or dusting.

Ok guys, since rotors and pads seem to wear out so quickly, I may move up to a lifetime warranty rotor and pad combo. I know the Duralast Gold Ceramic are a lifetime pad.

What rotors have a lifetime free exchange policy? I remember the Napa premium rotors having a lifetime replacement warranty.

What about another brand of rotors that offer such a warranty?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Thanks

1) You can do a pad slap, but from my observations of the service bays it's rarely done. Before turning your rotors, measure them with a micrometer. If you're close to the minimum thickness, toss them. FWIW, I did just that on a Toyota Sienna with OEM Toyota/Advics pads. We get a little brake squeal but no issues.

2) Honda pads are good. Certain semi-metallic pads like Bendix TitaniuMetallic and Axxis/PBR Metal Master or XBG are absolutely great once the brakes are warm but they are decent in power and a little chatty until they warm up. I'd avoid Raybestos semi-metallics like the plague.

3) For aftermarket pads, I like Bendix and the Australian-made PBR/Axxis brands. However, I've been somewhat disappointed with Bendix TitaniuMetallic IIs I swapped in recently - I used the original ones with great success. The CT3s and CQ pads are great. I also used Monroe Ceramics too with good luck. I heard good things about Wagner ThermoQuiets. It also depends on the car too. I used Raybestos organics on a Toyota truck, and I stick to Pagid/Textar on German cars.

4) Honda pads made by Nissin/Advics/Akebono are NAO ceramic or semi-metallic depending on application.

Last edited:
1) Resurfacing the rotors is pretty cheap, and at that milage there should be plenty of material left.

2) I've had great luck with the Hawk HPS ceramic line. They don't squeak and the have VERY low dust. Check RockAuto and Discountbrakes.com. I recently used Centric Premium ceramics on my wife's Infiniti SUV. I was really impressed with the quality of the metal plates and how the pads had a groove in the middle.

Also, when you take the rotors off put a coat of antisieze on the surface of the hub- http://www.permatex.com/products/automot...Lubricant_a.htm

Otherwise two years from now the dang rotors will be stubbornly rusted to the hubs. If they give you trouble spray some penetrativing oil around the studs, wait 15 min, and give the rotor "hat" a couple love taps with a rubber hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back