Electro-Lube Refiner & Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this before ..or one quite similar. I'd say it's legit but overkill. Cotton filtration is a commonly used media. Quite effective. I'm not sure how one would benefit in even commercial OTR usage. Marine applications, maybe. Finer bypass filtration is available, and moisture control is not too much of an issue in that kind of usage (other than marine).

They do make some SUPER DUTY systems for stationary lube processing.

I hate to bump a 2 year old thread, but there seems to be a question here that deserves to be answered.

Back in 2005, the Idaho national Laboratory did a 36 month test of a very similar system. They tested bypass filters using dense cellulose (cotton) filter elements with heat evaporation of water, fuel and glycol. The test were run on buses and Chevy Tahoes. The INL determined that using these systems will reduce oil expense and waste oil production by 89% on the buses and 86% on the Tahoes.

In an OTR trucking application, if you are driving 150000 miles a year, and changing your oil every 20,000 miles, with oil costing $20 per gallon, you are spending $1500 per year on oil. Saving 89% would put an extra $1335 in your pocket, and reduce waste oil production by over 60 gallons per year.

A 40 quart (10 gallon) bypass refining system will cost you $1395 + install. This means that you will pay for the unit in the first 12 months. Then your 5 year savings will look something like this (assuming oil does not increase in price):

Year 1: Paid for Unit
Year 2: Savings $1335
Year 3: Savings $2670
Year 4: Savings $4005
Year 5: Savings $5340

Multiply that across a fleet of 10, 20, 100 truck and I can clearly see how this would be beneficial for any OTR application.

It would be difficult to argue that running an engine on clean oil all the time would increase the lifespan of the engine. In a fleet environment, another savings area would be that service time can be devoted to changing belts and hoses instead of changing oil. I do not have any hard data, but I would bet that the cost of failure of belts and hoses on the road far outweigh the instances of oil related failures on the road.

Hi,
FrOgman - By comparison a centrifuge is a much better and more cost effective option on highly utilised equipment. These can be combined with a cleanable SS 40>
Mann-Hummel, Federal Mogul, Glacier etc make such filters

That sounds great. I know that that long strand cotton bypass refiners have been tested by the US Government at the Idaho national Laboratory. Can you point me to any independent studies on the centrifuge filters?

My main concern would be the 40 micron limit. I know the cellulose filters in the Electrolube, and similar, filters are much more efficient in terms of removing smaller wear particles. I also know that these type of filters have no moving parts. Logic demands that a unit with fewer moving parts will be subject to fewer mechanical breakdowns.

I would really like to see impractical evidence to support your statements.

Hi,
Frogman - Please refer to my many previous posts on my use of centrifuge filters on my OTR vehicles. I don't propose to repost, and they go back several years!

Independent tests have been conducted by SAE (Technical Paper Series Nos 930996, 980872 and others), Glacier Metal Co, T&N. Cummins and others have also visited this area in some depth

As to breakdowns, my centrifuge cleaners operated for at least 10 million kms without any form of breakdown. As their operation is audible you know that they are functioning. They were cleaned at every third OC (average 90kkms OCI) and the average contaminant uptake rate was 0.0025gm/km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back