Honda GX200 likes to stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Honda knock off on a go kart, and it starts on first pull every time (knock on wood!). It revs and idles great until I unchoke the carb to get some more power. It stalls everytime the choke lever is past the halfway point.
The spark plug, carb gaskets, and air filter were just replaced. I also drained the gas tank and put a fresh load in there. So now the only thing that I can think of is valve lash. Could that be correlated to this at all?

It sounds like the main jet is partially plugged. Having the choke on creates more vacuum and it's able to pull fuel but once the choke is open the vacuum drops and it cant pull enough fuel.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
No, I only focused on the main bore. So I'll try that next time. Thanks.

That's a common error. The bore/venturi of the carburetor is seldom if ever a problem area with a carb. It would take something fairly big to have an effect on the bore. Something way to big to get past the air filter.

Unless the jets and passages have all been cleaned and blown out with compressed air (if available), the carb hasn't been cleaned. All the important activity within the carb is carried out by those little holes, jets and adjustment screws. You will do yourself a service and find a manual or an exploded view parts diagram to show you where all of the important stuff is so that it can be cleaned.

Pull the float bowl, and look for dirt. That will be your first indication that there may very well be dirt in passages and/or jets as well.

honda carb = clogs super easy. do thorough clean, and install inline filter. bought the t-shirt 4 times before installing the filter...

well being a gx200 pill the carb remove the fuel bowl and find a screw driver and remove the main jet and clean it out. the if you tap on the carb body with the main jet removed the e-tube that just sits above will fall out clean all the holes in it reassemble it then where the fuel inlet there is a small bowl under it 10mm unscrew it and clean it out reassemble it. thenthere is the piolet jet it is on top of the carb under the black cap to the right of the throttle remove it and clean it. when doing this make sure you can see light through the holes that you clean.
if it still stalls then you need to lapp the valves. here are directions.good luck!
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/valve-lapping.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back