Correct exhaust system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7. I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system. Currently I have a 3'' swept side exhaust. Which would be better a magnaflo stailess 3'' inlet to two 2.5 inch outlet swept side or a Gibson stainless 3'' inlet and 3'' outlet?

I dont think 2.5" outlet compared to the 3" will make any "performance" difference, although it would be a tad more loud. If you can (and maybe you have) listen to Magnaflow and Gibson and see which sound suits you best. I am not as enamoured with Magnaflow as many are (although I have one on a 5.9 Durango) but its what suits your ears best:) I have 18" glasspacks on my GMQ and to me its just "right" :)

SummitRacing.com has alot of choices and great prices. You can plug in your year and truck into the fields and narrow down your search to exhaust and it will show you what they have for sale for your exact model. I prefer chambered mufflers because they sound better (to me) and don't have packing to blow out (magnaflow) which will make it louder over time.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7. I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system. Currently I have a 3'' swept side exhaust. Which would be better a magnaflo stailess 3'' inlet to two 2.5 inch outlet swept side or a Gibson stainless 3'' inlet and 3'' outlet?

Be cautious of going to more than a 2.5" outlet if you run dual tail pipes. It seems to kill low end on the 5.7L. At least the 03-08 versions. Most exhaust mfg's claim the greatest power gains with a single tail pipe. I personally prefer dual exhaust/dual tail pipes however.

Have you considered the OEM dual setup for your truck? Sounds good and it isn't overly expensive. Of course it means getting the dual exhaust bumper but then you have a great finished off look as well.

Whatever you end up doing be aware that the 5.7L engines with MDS usually sound HORRIBLE with aftermarket exhaust as a rule. The louder the exhaust the worse it sounds( when MDS kicks in it sounds like a low flying helicopter ). I went with a Borla ProXS SI/DO and it is not too bad but you can still tell when MDS kicks in.

Also, the 5.7L HEMI motors are notorious for drone when the resonator(s) is removed. On my 04 5.7L Ram I used a Maganflow muffler and removed the factory resonator( SI/DO - exit behind each rear wheel )and within 15-20 minutes tops I would have a headache and be sick to my stomach from the drone. On the 08 with the Borla( exit under bumper )I don't get any drone to speak of. This muffler seems to do a good job, like Corsa, of combating drone. Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Aeroturbine, Thrush, Dynomax, etc... and even Gibson have a reputation for drone on the HEMI when the resonator(s) is removed.

I can't find it, but I recall reading something once about how if you have a V8, putting a dual exhaust will kill power, because of backpressure coming in pulses on them. And putting a dual will eliminate it. Or something like that.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
renos09ram said:
Whatever you end up doing be aware that the 5.7L engines with MDS usually sound HORRIBLE with aftermarket exhaust as a rule.
Oh yeah, it would probably sound like an old beater that is badly in need of a tune up. Maybe there is a way to defeat MDS? Pull a fuse?

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
renos09ram said:
Whatever you end up doing be aware that the 5.7L engines with MDS usually sound HORRIBLE with aftermarket exhaust as a rule.
Oh yeah, it would probably sound like an old beater that is badly in need of a tune up. Maybe there is a way to defeat MDS? Pull a fuse?

1 - Easiest way is to press the Tow/Haul button and it shuts it off. Doing that though changes the shift pattern. You end up holding your gear much longer which means you get longer more drawn out shifts which hurts MPG.

2 - You can buy a tuner( Hypertech, Diablo, Superchips, etc... )and disable it using the tuner( when offered )but not everyone wants to go that route. As I understand it you can't JUST use the tuner to shut off MDS. You still have to install the tune which is a warranty issue for many folks. I would love to see a handheld tuner that JUST disable MDS or that will let you select the range it works in. MDS is fine in my truck at 40-45MPH+ but anything under that and it is horrid.

3 - Unplug the MDS harness at the back of the engine so the solenoids do not work. I guess when it is unplugged it creates some kind of fault that keeps the PCM from turning MDS on( built in safety catch I assume ). The draw back to that is you get a SEL light.

Unfortunately there is no fuse or relay you can unplug( not on 06-08 models anyway - not 100% sure if 09+ changed ).

Last edited:
My cousin has the exact same truck as me and he installed the Magnaflo dual 2.5'' outlet. To me it seems like he had lost bottom end performance, but I wasn't 100% sure. That's why I was questioning which set up to go with. I did install a single Gibson swept side a few months back BUT, everytime I accelerated hard it sounded or made a large hissing noise. So I went back to the stock set-up. Some people tell me that the Gibson muffler most likely wasn't welded on correctly (gaps in weld)and that created the hissing noise. Other than that I really liked the low end gains that I had with the Gibson but hated that hiss. I thought it was from it being chambered vs non chambered, What do you guys think? Thanks for the replies

FWIW, On my '95 F150 I simply cut the old muffler off and junked the whole tailpipe over the axle assembly. Installed a $25 Flowtech Raptor muffler and a short pipe out the side in front of the rear wheel. I absolutely love it. Sounds great and still hanging in there after 2-3 years. Not sure it is so simple with modern vehicles though.

You want to be very careful doing that with engines like the OP's 5.7L that are notorious for drone issues. Some well known drone monsters...

Chrysler 5.7L HEMI and V10( Ram HD trucks )
GM 6.0L
Ford V10

You want to be very careful doing that with engines like the OP's 5.7L that are notorious for drone issues. Some well known drone monsters...

Chrysler 5.7L HEMI and V10( Ram HD trucks )
GM 6.0L
Ford V10

Thank goodness he's not talking about using a Mopar original -- that thing would have rusted out and caught fire before the first turn of the key.

J/K NHHemi, but you gotta admit -- you invited that one. You know what I mean... EKP, UNH, '83.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back