nissan frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked to the Nissan dealership about using synthetic oil in my 2006 Frontier with a 4.0L engine. He said the Nissan did not recommend using synthetic oil, that regular oil was sufficient. Does anyone have any experience using synthetic oil in a Nissan?
Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
I talked to the Nissan dealership about using synthetic oil in my 2006 Frontier with a 4.0L engine. He said the Nissan did not recommend using synthetic oil, that regular oil was sufficient. Does anyone have any experience using synthetic oil in a Nissan?
Thanks

No, but I'm running TropArtic Synthetic *Blend* (probably GIII and GII/GII+) in my '02 Frontier with the 2.4L. Will be doing my first UOA on it here in a few weeks. I asked our local Nissan dealer where I bought the truck and they recommended Mobil 1 if you want to use synthetic...had no problem with it. But they probably know less about PCMO and auto lubrication than the average BITOG'er, anyway.

cheers.gif

You can run syn in any nissan motor.
My dealer sells M1 in there parts department!!!

Ive heard and think hat the reason they dont reccomend syn is that some people will get carried away with there oil change intervals.

I ran syn in my 97 hardbody all of its 150k life until it was totaled.
I used M1 5w30 and it didnt leak or burn a drop.

My dads 01 supcharged crew cab has had syn since about 7k.
Truck now has 118k and runs great and uses no oil between changes.
Im running M1EP in his.

I had M1EP in my 04 frontier since 11k and it now has 32k again with no problems.
Use syn with confidence.

I have read good things about using dino in newer Nissan engines. I would just use Havoline/Chevron, and do a 4K or 5K OCI.

If you want to run synthetic in a Nissan, go ahead. I've run Mobil 1 5w30 and GC in my '97 Maxima. My Maxima really likes GC. It is quieter and smoother than Castrol GTX 5w30 is (my normal oil), and a huge difference in these attributes compared to Mobil 1 5w30 (the Supersyn variety). This was the older really thin version of Mobil 1, with a viscosity of 10.1 or so, not the newer one in the 11's. I have noticed that Nissans in general prefer thicker oils of whatever grade is recommended for that particular engine. I'm currently doing an AutoRx rinse in my Maxima, but will be going back to GC as soon as it's done. My wife's '88 Nissan pickup may get GC after its AutoRx run, too (and it has over 180,000 miles so far).

Dave

I agree with Dave H I have a Nissan Titan 5.6l and it really likes GC. It is also recomended in my service manual to run a reg. oil so dont sweat it.

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
I talked to the Nissan dealership about using synthetic oil in my 2006 Frontier with a 4.0L engine. He said the Nissan did not recommend using synthetic oil, that regular oil was sufficient.

The fact that they don't recommend it does not mean that they don't think it should be used. To me it means that they aren't taking a position on whether you should or should not use it. Especially when they say that regular oil is "sufficient". Only sufficient? I'd rather use something a bit better than sufficient. I think you can use syn oil in any Nissan, or any other motor vehicle for that matter.

Thanks for your replies. Just as I thought, synthetic will do fine. Just wanted reassursnce from some people that know what they are talking about.

i have an 06 nissan titan that runs on synthetic. Runs fine and my UOA proves that this engine can run on syn. You can go with either dino or syn. When i bought the truck at the Nissan Dealership, i asked about using syn. and they told me that i can get either castrol syn or mobil 1 oil changed in their service department also. The only reason i can think of that would explain why they rather prefer dino is that they want the customer to feel like they're saving money and being ok with just using dino vs syn.

westex39,

I just bought a new Frontier, too, and will probably use a dino oil based on the low OCI required to keep the warranty valid. The OM specifies OCIs at 3750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first; or twice those figures if on an extended schedule. I'll use the latter figures but still don't expect to put more than 4000 miles on it in 6 months, so using synthetic would be kind of a waste in my case. On the other hand, I do have some M1 5W-30 gathering dust, so I may just use that up.

Enjoy the new wheels!

Cheers, Mark

There's only one motor that I know of that specifically says using synthetic is a no no, and that's a Mazda rotory. I think by nature of design the rotory uses small amounts of oil inside the combustion chambers, and a synthetic won't "burn off" as complete as a dino (I may be a lil rusty on my rotory knowledge). Otherwise, there's no reason you couldn't run synthetic in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back