no top tier gas stations near me. what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: Vesparado
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: Vesparado
"Top Tier"

Strictly a marketing gimmick...no enforcement means no compliance. Put your faith elsewhere.

There is nothing to enforce. And auto makers came up with it. Not oil companies.

You and Casper need to get out more. Here's just one example of marketing:

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/top_tier/

You can't reliably have compliance with "standards" without inspection and enforcement. This, plus distributors doing in-kind exchanges to save transportation costs means you have absolutely no idea what "brand" or formulation of gasoline you are buying. About all you can realistically hope for is that it is the labeled octane and is relatively clean.

You need to get out more.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Kindly point out the oil companies that created it if you please.

So you are saying "Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction". Does this mean the EPA is not looking into this as far as emission standards? How can the detergent level be reduced by 50% and not impact what ever the EPA is measuring?

Is anyone having problems meeting emissions standards by not using 'Top Tier' gas?

IMHO, "Top Tier" is a money making scam. Note how much the oil companies have to pay them to get 'certified'.

I have been using 'non top tier' BP gasoline for 30 years, in a many different cars - right now a 2004 Subaru, 1998 Ford Ranger, and a 1976 modified Corvette, without any problems.

I consider "Top Tier" marketing BULLCRAP.

Last edited:
Wow the only top tier gas we have is Shell. Sunoco is local but the list says Sunoco Canada. Shell mentions Shell, I assume US, and Shell Canada. It is selling for 10 cents a gallon more than anything else. I thought BP and Sunoco were top tier. Thanks for the list.

I use Shell in the Jeep, and what ever is cheapest in my other two vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back