Mazda CX7 first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my wife's 2010 2.3L turbo.
My local dealer said no synthetic but offered Valvoline 5W-30 for free. If you have experince with this engine let me hear your opinion/suggestions if should go ahead or change it myself with a better choice oil. She drives 50/50 and some short trips as well. The car has about 1500 miles now.

The dealer just has the valvoline 5W-30 which is obviously the correct oil visc.

Well, the viscosity is correct and if it did not have the turbo what he is selling would be fine, but it does have a turbo and the turbo bearings run hot, so I would pick up your favorite synthetic, take it to your dealer and ask him to put it in for free. He can sell his regular oil to someone else. Either Mobil 1, one of the Pennzoil synthetics, Quaker State synthetic, or Valvoline synthetic, heck even Castrol synthetic, whatever brand is your favorite.

Have we 'confirmed' if Mazda allows the use of 40-weight oils in their turbo motors?

IF that was the case, I'd use a 5W-40 or 0W-40 in it.

I run M1 5W-30 in my 2007 MS3. Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra is another excellent oil. My dealer gave me free 5K mile oil changes for as long as I own the car, but I provide the oil myself. My service adviser also thinks a synthetic oil is a good choice for these engines. The only Mazdas that aren't supposed to get synthetics are the rotaries...

MCompact, you have to many vehicles. I would be glad to take that 1975 2002A off your hands.
grin2.gif
19.gif

Wait till at least 3k and change it to synthetic.

You could use German Castrol 0w30 so it will look like the correct viscosity to them on paper but IRL it is a higher vis. 30 with a better HTHS number. Available just about anywhere oil is sold.

That's my vote.

So I read that most of you say forget the free valvoline!
I really don't want to wait unless someone tells me the Mazda factory fill is a special breakin but even then. I have got some m1 040 and GC.

The factory fill is nothing special. The dealer won't like either of these oils since they both say 0W. Either of those would work in your Mazda.

You are not hurting ANYTHING by leaving it in until 3k miles.

My Forester is turbo-charged and went through many 3k regular oil changes to no ill affect. 2 of them being Auto-RX clean/rinse cycles. Let the motor break-in, no need to change oil 15 times during that phase like some others do, granted it is my opinion just like theirs.

Yes forget the free Valvoline since it is not synthetic.

Our Mazda isn't getting a change until 5k just like the manual says.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

I have always gone thru early changes the 1st time. Hate the engine breakin with contaminated fluid with gas, silicon, fe, pb etc.
Even if not hurting anything won't be gaining either. Just a view.

You do realize those things you are so scared are in there all the time right? The engine is not contaminated and you are trying to fill some void in yourself by justifying it that way.

I'll leave it at that.

The engine is not contaminated and you are trying to fill some void in yourself by justifying it that way.

I'll leave it at that.

Some void??
I hope you realize that both hi count of silicon and pb are something to avoid if possible regardless of miles on your engine.
Some manufacturer also push for early change.

My Forester is turbo-charged and went through many 3k regular oil changes to no ill affect. 2 of them being Auto-RX clean/rinse cycles. Let the motor break-in, no need to change oil 15 times during that phase like some others do, granted it is my opinion just like theirs.

Yes forget the free Valvoline since it is not synthetic.

Our Mazda isn't getting a change until 5k just like the manual says.

I've been getting my mazda done @ 5K as well, just like the manual states. my mechanic uses wolf's head.
Thermo, have we run into each other on here before? I'm in easton, in the city.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM

Some void??
I hope you realize that both hi count of silicon and pb are something to avoid if possible regardless of miles on your engine.
Some manufacturer also push for early change.

I really don't want an argument but I'll explain.

Yes a void, a void in you/me/us that constantly nags to do something based on silly superpositions or tradition.

Pb & Si are in every motor regardless, heck I had high Si concentrations after using RTV Sealant but that doesn't mean the engine is going to grenade. Unless you are doing an UOA for every oil change in your CX-7 to establish a pattern then what you just said bears no weight at all. You IMO are just being overly cautious(a good thing) but to the point of being illogical.

As far as car makers stating early changes, if it has been in the last 10 years it will be news to me. I welcome it if you have a document supporting this.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
MCompact, you have to many vehicles. I would be glad to take that 1975 2002A off your hands.
grin2.gif
19.gif

It's a work in progress. It's pretty solid overall- bought it for a decent price on eBay.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
And I'd be all over the Speed Triple...

It's a bit big and a little top-heavy, but it's a fun ride- and it stands out from all the cruiser and sport bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back