Any issues using Pennzoil 5w-30 through summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 f150 v6
When I could have chosen 5w-20 or 10w-30? I filled the motor with 5w-30 last weekend and now I'm thinking either of the other grades would do a better job in the summer months.

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It should be a little 'thicker' at operating temps than 5w20 and a little 'thinner' at start-up than 10w30. A perfect compromise IMO. Pennzoil dino is an excellent oil too, IMO.

In your location I would've considered 10W-30 if it's a work truck. (Lower viscosity spread to shear down than 5W-30). Otherwise I agree with pbm. The good news is that SM motor oils in general contain much more shear stable VII polymers than previous chemistry. It's been debated ad nauseum on BITOG, so I won't comment further on the EPA-driven shift to 5W-20 motor oils.
wink.gif

No problems.

I've run 5w-30 Pennzoil in my Truck durning the summer with excellent results.

You can run either of the weights with success.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Pennzoil 5w30 and Motorcraft 5w30 are both thicker than most oils at 40*C and both are similar (and in Pennzoils case actually slightly thicker) at 100*C than their 10w30 counterparts.

So in other words, Pennzoil 5w30 is .1 thicker than 10w30 at 100*C. So, you can use Pennzoil 5w30 with confidence.

wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It should be a little 'thicker' at operating temps than 5w20 and a little 'thinner' at start-up than 10w30. A perfect compromise IMO. Pennzoil dino is an excellent oil too, IMO.

Even though thickness at startup is not important b/c the oil's preheated
cool.gif
I'm comfortable it's a good compromise(and it's not a work truck).

THANKS ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back