Mo 1
Ca 1815
Mg 3
Zn 767
P 694
Vis @100C 9.9 (???)
TBN 8.0
ISO 22/15
Lab said the particle counts were high on this oil(?!?) Considering that and the viscosity I'd like to see this sample re-run.

5w30:
Si 2
Na 431
Ca 1413
Mg 3
Zn 695
P 623
V @100C 11.0
TBN 8.0
ISO 19/14

I have the 5w30 in my car now. It seems to be slightly nosier on cold startup (there are some noises of concern but they didn't start with this fill). Once it's hot though, it purrs like a kitten, smoothest it's ever been. Probably the thickest 30wt that it's had at 11.0.

It's just re-labeled Synpower - has almost the exact same add-pack and TBN. It'll be a good oil, especialy at the price you can get it at on sale - $17.99 w/filter or something?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's just re-labeled Synpower - has almost the exact same add-pack and TBN. It'll be a good oil, especialy at the price you can get it at on sale - $17.99 w/filter or something?

It's produced by some outfit in Louisiana.

$17.99 for 5 quarts of the oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I'm not running the M1 filter now though, have a Kia OEM filter on there.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's just re-labeled Synpower

Are you sure about that? This other thread indicates that it's produced by Omni oil company:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1909750

The most recent post in that thread (as of this writing) indicates that he talked with a representative of Omni who said it is made with Shell and Mobil base oils but with different additives.

Question: Who makes O'Reilly's brand of oil?

Answer: O'Reilly's brand of oil is manufactured and packaged by Omni Specialty Packaging. Omni is an independent lubricant manufacturer in Shreveport, LA. While Omni is not affiliated with any "major" manufacturer, we do buy our base oils from companies like Exxon/Mobil and Shell.

Question: What specs does O'Reilly motor oil meet and how does it compare to name brand oils?

Answer: O'Reilly brand motor oils meet API 'SM' service classification and where applicable ILSAC 'GF-4'. Both API 'SM' and ILSAC 'GF-4' are the latest industry standards for passenger car motor oils. These are the same specifications that all "major" brand oils should meet.

http://www.oreillylubetech.com/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...323#Post1878323

Okay, maybe it isn't MADe by Ashland, but it uss the exact same add-pack that Ashland uses for it's oils. Additive counts are very, very close.

Well, if the numbers mean ANYTHING, given metallo-organic additives are usually less than 1/2 of 1% of the oil - maybe a 1/4tsp per Quart. Oil base is important and NOT discussed on BITOG often. If you are doing a 4-5K Oci you may be better off with less Ca sulfonate DETERGENT given how low the AW and EP are in GF4 - It's a wear/oil-life balancing act.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Originally Posted By: BR549
Thank you for getting this analized.

Think twice before using this oil there.

Makes two reasons not to use this oil.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
exactly...numbers look horrible.

Exactly what did you see in this oil that looks so bad? Just a standard SM/GF4 Add Pack with I assume a GIII base.

We could make an issue with the 5W20 viscosity if its accurate.

Like we've said about other "super-oils" that look ho-hum on paper, it's what you may not see that could make it "good". What made it good to me was the price. Shrug.

Careful G.M., you may want to wipe your nose off
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back