no top tier gas stations near me. what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why BP isn't on the list yet. Nice that Mobil was added. BP now has Invigorate in all their grades so I assume they should meet Top Tier requirements.

I too question why BP is not on the list. Dinky little stations like Turkey Hill and MFA can be top tier but BP is not.

From what I read BP failed the combustion chamber deposite test.
It has been a while ago though.

Originally Posted By: Vesparado
"Top Tier"

Strictly a marketing gimmick...no enforcement means no compliance. Put your faith elsewhere.

What marketing? Have you seen ads/signs/stickers try to sell the Top Tier gas? It is a low profile organization from what I understood but testing is being done time to time. Most havn't heard TT unless a car enthus or something.

I've lost respect for top tier at least in the metro NY area. When Shell, or Sunoco gets a gas drop from a truck with no name on the side at 0400, then that same truck drops gas a few miles down the road to another station with no name, why should I believe that Shell or Sunoco is selling me top tier gas?

"Top Tier"

Strictly a marketing gimmick...no enforcement means no compliance. Put your faith elsewhere.

There is nothing to enforce. And auto makers came up with it. Not oil companies.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've lost respect for top tier at least in the metro NY area. When Shell, or Sunoco gets a gas drop from a truck with no name on the side at 0400, then that same truck drops gas a few miles down the road to another station with no name, why should I believe that Shell or Sunoco is selling me top tier gas?

Many of the fuel companies don't own a distribution network. The distributors are fewer than the oil companies due to the infrastructure needed. The distributors typically won't solicit for any one oil company on their trucks because they work for several. The distributor infrastructure allows for the tracking, compartmentalizing and delivering of several brands through the same network and even the same trailers without mixing or loss of fuel quality.

The fuel company wouldn't allow a station to use their name unless that station was selling that company's gas. There is too much liability.

Last edited:
I met a guy from the dept of weights and measures, and he told me of gas stations that he nailed selling regular in place of premium gas and what stations not to buy from. I'm not disagreeing with you, but the NY metro area leaves a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
"Top Tier"

There is nothing to enforce. And auto makers came up with it. Not oil companies.

You and Casper need to get out more. Here's just one example of marketing:

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/top_tier/

You can't reliably have compliance with "standards" without inspection and enforcement. This, plus distributors doing in-kind exchanges to save transportation costs means you have absolutely no idea what "brand" or formulation of gasoline you are buying. About all you can realistically hope for is that it is the labeled octane and is relatively clean.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I met a guy from the dept of weights and measures, and he told me of gas stations that he nailed selling regular in place of premium gas and what stations not to buy from. I'm not disagreeing with you, but the NY metro area leaves a lot to be desired.

That is a completely different issue and totally believable. That kind of thing along with intentionally mis-calibrated pumps that charge you for one gallon when you are getting 0.9 gallons is more common than it should be.

Yes a different issue, but very common. Interesting about the top tier fuel. I always thought Shell and Sunoco stations got fuel drops from trucks with Shell or Sunoco Logos on the tanker. The local Shell guy here gets a delivery from a tanker that looks like it was used in WWII.

The base gas all are nearly the same. However depending on your location not always gas comes from the dedicated line but rather same distributor. They do mix the add pack at the station and that is mostly the difference. The extra pennies you pay is for that which makes all the difference. Ofcourse if you care.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
...They do mix the add pack at the station....

Maybe there should be a penalty of some sort for just making stuff up and posting it on the internet. Perhaps Mommy and Daddy could restrict computer time.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
The base gas all are nearly the same. However depending on your location not always gas comes from the dedicated line but rather same distributor. They do mix the add pack at the loading terminal and that is mostly the difference. The extra pennies you pay is for that which makes all the difference. Ofcourse if you care.

If it makes a huge difference to you or anyone else. "Terminal"

Last edited:
"Top Tier"

There is no enforcement with gas & oil additives sold in stores or with the oil and filters themselves. So what.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
"Top Tier"

You and Casper need to get out more. Here's just one example of marketing:

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/top_tier/

You can't reliably have compliance with "standards" without inspection and enforcement. This, plus distributors doing in-kind exchanges to save transportation costs means you have absolutely no idea what "brand" or formulation of gasoline you are buying. About all you can realistically hope for is that it is the labeled octane and is relatively clean.

You need to get out more.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Kindly point out the oil companies that created it if you please.

Top tier? IMO, marketing.

Without any better information on gas quality in your area, one way to help keep things clean- at least according to some folks, including at least one car-maker(Volvo?)- is to keep switching brands. Run a few tanks of one, then move to another, stick to busy stations that sell a *Lot* of gas.

Our local former Chevron station, with its once-excellent gasoline, was almost put out of business by- Chevron! Gasoline quality had slipped for a few years, then prices went sky-high $4+/gal, to make things worse Chevron prices were *always* higher(20 cents plus) than everyone else around when they used to be equal- so the owner of that station finally said goodby Chevron & is now an independent. Gas is not what it once was- for years my Neon always got better mileage with that gas than anything else- but i's no worse than the last couple years of Chevron.

About 6 miles away there's a convenience store/self-serve Phillips 66 with large banner out front, plus stickers on the pumps, that proudly proclaim their gas contains *NO Ethanol*. Pump stickers also claim their super unleaded as 93 octane. The No Ethanol may even be true- mileage is usually better with it. That's where I buy most of my gas these days.

A couple of miles closer is a Shell self-serve- better mileage than the grocery-chain gas, not quite as good as the Philips 66 gas, but the difference is very small.

Hmm...maybe I should try for some synergystic effect between gas & motor oil and use the Trop-Artic 5w30 for the next OC on the Dakota!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back