Best Oil for GM Direct Injection engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appeard from the UOA that the GM DI engines (mostly the Traverse engine - not much on the Equinox 2.4L DI I have) tear up oil. So considering the following, I'm wondering what you guys think regarding an oil recommendation?

- It seems since these engines tear up oil that for more than a 5k OCI (which I would like to do 6-7k to correspond with tire rotations) you want an oil that is durable.

- A good cleaning oil would be good because of the fact you don't get fuel washing in the engine due to the DI

- I've heard you want a low NOACK, ideally lower than 10. In the Pennzoil Q&A just posted, Pennzoil said NOACK is overrated in DI engines (maybe only because PU isn't under ten).

I am currently using M1 full syn 5W30. It is OK, but not what I was expecting. I'm thinking of trying QS Ultimate Durability. My only concern is it's NOACK of 12.3 (5W30). I have no doubts it is durable and it meets GM4718, so I'm not that worried about "clean" (especially based off of modularv8's post: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1935621#Post1935621).

What do you guys think? Any other oils I should look at? I heard one review on here a week or two ago that said in their Traverse engine PP was noisy. Price isn't a major issue (if I find an oil I like I'll keep getting it vs. getting whatever is cheapest - I got more MaxLife today for one vehicle instead of QS HM which was cheaper), but I don't want to spend $35 on an oil change, either.
Thanks.

My Aunt has a 2010 'verse.....

Go Penn Plat.....good success with it so far....

The Lambas seem to do best so far on PP....(on the 3 I've seen so far....

I hear that rotella t-6 is pretty shear resistant. I'm curious what it is about traverse engines that shear the oil down so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back