Better MPG with Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filled up again tonight on Shell 87, $2.59 a gallon. I calculated my MPG and got 17.44 on this last tank of Shell. I know it's not a huge improvement but it is still better than the 16.73 I got from the last tank of Texaco 87 I bought.

My truck runs very well on the Shell gas too, so I will keep using it for a while. I will keep tracking my MPG too.

I've had just the opposite results from using Shell 87 octane gas in my vehicles here in NW NJ. My mpg was lower in 2 of my vehicles than when using Quick Chek 87 octane gas, go figure? This was using the gas under the same driving circumstances during the same weather conditions. I repeated this multiple times with the same results
21.gif
. In both I continued to use FP60. Both are Ethanol 10 gasoline.

Whimsey

I filled up with a little over 7 gallons at Shell yesterday and, even though my gauge gets innacurate at some point, it seems the gas gauge isnt goin' down as fast as it would with Exxon or Chevron. I'll see what my gas mileage is compared to when I get inbetween 32 and 33 mpg with Chevron and Exxon.

My gauge does the same thing, doesn't seem to fall as fast as it does with other brands. I think Shell is better for MPG, Chevron/Texaco may be a bit better for performance.

I just refilled yesterday. I calculated 34 mpg to my usual 32. I picked up an application for Shell's "Drive For 5" gas cards while I was at it.

16.64 on my last tank of Shell but I have had a lot of really short stop and go trips and multiple starts test driving my truck after I put in new inner tie rods and had the alignment adjusted this past weekend. Will see how this tank I bought today goes. I added about 6 ounces of MMO to it too.

I love Shell especially since it's a Top Tier fuel. If only I could find a Shell station that sells diesel.

There are a ton of Shell stations around the Middle Tennessee area. I use my Shell Saver card which at the moment saves me $.05 a gallon and if I have enough Kroger points, it saves an additional $.10 a gallon. I've always had great performance/MPG with Shell with both their gasoline and diesel.

I have compared some brand gas in my Xterra on a set stretch of highway (30 miles back& forth driven at 60 mph) using the computer on board for comparision. Also done tank to tank fill up of the same gas with same result.
Here is the list of few:

1-Chevron by 1.5 miles over shell and 1 over BP. Chevron & BP seem to produce better low end response as well. Chevron is my top pick in mpg and driveability over all the ones I have used im cars and motorcycle.

2-BP and shell are very close by 2 mpg over Marathan

3-Marathan-not a good gas as it makes my xterra run somewhat rough under heavy acceleration and delievers wose mpg compared to above.
My VTX motorcycle sounds and runs better with Chevron and BP but not shell. Shell takes away some power out of bike. Marathan and my VTX don't mix together very well at all. It knocks, dosn't start as sharp and ready to go when cold.

Last edited:
We use Shell here most of the time. In several states I read somewhere that Chevron stations are being sold and will operate under a different name. Don't know about the gasoline they will sell?

Chevron is pulling out of KY due to low sale.
In KY most buy no brand gas to save pennies. Not good!

I filled up again today and got 16.70 MPG on this last tank of Shell. I guess my MPG may be a little higher or a little lower depending on how and where I have to drive each week, no matter what brand of gas I use. But my truck seems to run better and have a little more pep to it with Shell. Since Shell is so readily available here I will keep on using it. There are very few Chevron stations here and even fewer Texaco stations. Plus I like supporting SOPUS because of some of the good things they do, like sponsoring good programming on the History Channel.

Filled up again tonight, 17.95 MPG on this last tank of Shell. I think I will stick with Shell, seems like I average about 1.5 to 2 MPG better with Shell 87 than I did on Chevron or Texaco. Also seems like adding 3 ounces of MMO to every 10 gallons of gas works best with Shell gas. Shell is very reasonably priced around here too, it is usually the cheapest top tier gas here.

I got 17.77 MPG on my last Shell fill-up. I filled up again today with 14.4 gallons of Shell 87 and added 6 ounces of MMO to the tank, which is more than I was using and is just about at the 4 ounces to 10 gallons dose that MMO recommends.

Truck is running fine and has good power. Will see how this tank does with the increased MMO dose.

shell stations in my town don't use ethanol either they even had to put up handmade signs to that effect till they got signs. could be why i get a bit better mpg but not 100% sure. Though bp ultimate does just as well but when i use sunoco it goes down a little. Though the few times only station around when i was near empty were citgo's (straight [censored]) I lost 2-2.5 mpg.

Alcohol content has a big effect on gas mileage and power.
Well, not really that big, but noticeable.
Over a 2 MPG increase is not from the fuel.[over 10%]
One tank is not enough to tell.

I used 10 consecutive tanks of Shell V-Power 93 Octane 0% Ethanol and then switched to 87 with 10% ethanol and add Lucas to it. Truck runs great and I consistently get better mileage than posted numbers for my truck from the Government of Canada

I don't see any difference in mileage between E-10 and the Ethanol Free fuels in this vehicle.

My '89 Cabriolet however doesn't like E-10 as much as it does Ethanol Free fuel.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I used 10 consecutive tanks of Shell V-Power 93 Octane 0% Ethanol and then switched to 87 with 10% ethanol and add Lucas to it. Truck runs great and I consistently get better mileage than posted numbers for my truck from the Government of Canada

I don't see any difference in mileage between E-10 and the Ethanol Free fuels in this vehicle.

My '89 Cabriolet however doesn't like E-10 as much as it does Ethanol Free fuel.

Your truck probably only needs 87 octane fuel. In my RX (which premium is recommended) I get less power/mpg`s on 87. Most all of our stations here have the [censored] in it.

No two brands of gasoline are exactly equal. Some engines do better on one brand, other engines do better on a different brand. It is very much worthwhile to try different brands for several tankfuls of repeatable driving to see which give the lowest fuel cost per mile, not just the best mileage or lowest fill-up cost. Except ARCO, BP's West Coast brand which is always the worst gas available. I wouldn't buy ARCO even before BP killed the Gulf of Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back